• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

SOLD Unique Plains Style Percussion Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Here is a really interesting rifle that is a bit of an enigma. I have no idea who built it but they were an exceptional craftsman as the inletting is exceptionally precise and the finish is professional both wood and metal. The only identifying marks are what appear to be English proofs on the left side flat near the breech and the well fit hooked breech is not one I have seen before. The lock is a repurposed percussion bar action shotgun lock and the bar fitting is incorporated to the barrel. The wood is a well figured piece of maple with somewhat of a flame figure. There are European style sling swivels. I believe this rifle was built for big game hunting with paper patched bullets. The 29" 7/8" barrel has a twist about 1 in 28" with 8 lands and grooves about .007 deep and the land to land diameter is exactly .472 which would be perfect for a .458 bullet and a double wrap of .0035 copy paper. I've only shot it with .457 round ball and a .018 ticking patch and with lighter charges in the 45gr FFF range it shoots as well as I can hold it. Don't know how it would do with heavier charges as the twist is pretty fast for round ball.
The rifle is 45" overall with a 13" length of pull and a 1&3/4 drop at the heel and weighs 8.5lbs. Obviously it was meant to represent a plains style or Hawken rifle. The bore is well cared for and I kept it clean there is no rust and only a few handling marks none serious. The sights are a modern buckhorn rear and the front is a small gold bead.
I am asking $825 which include shipping any where in the CONUS it is legal to ship to. I prefer postal money order but personal checks are OK with time to clear.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    166 KB · Views: 497
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 494
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 436
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    150 KB · Views: 417
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 423
  • IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 406
  • IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 394
  • IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 395
  • IMG_0010.JPG
    IMG_0010.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 369
I recently bought the Wesson Rifle from Denster.

A very fine person to deal with.

Buy with on worry.

I recently bought the Wesson Rifle from Denster.

A very fine person to deal with.
Buy with no worry.
He does a fine job packing and shipping.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know nothing about shooting paper-patched bullets. However, that rifle is a beauty! I doubt you could have one similar custom built for under two grand. You are offering this rifle at a very good price.

Notchy Bob

If I had the cash this would have been mine the instant I saw it. It would be the most beautiful rifle in the woods! GORGEOUS RIFLE.

Here is a really interesting rifle that is a bit of an enigma. I have no idea who built it but they were an exceptional craftsman as the inletting is exceptionally precise and the finish is professional both wood and metal. The only identifying marks are what appear to be English proofs on the left side flat near the breech and the well fit hooked breech is not one I have seen before. The lock is a repurposed percussion bar action shotgun lock and the bar fitting is incorporated to the barrel. The wood is a well figured piece of maple with somewhat of a flame figure. There are European style sling swivels. I believe this rifle was built for big game hunting with paper patched bullets. The 29" 7/8" barrel has a twist about 1 in 28" with 8 lands and grooves about .007 deep and the land to land diameter is exactly .472 which would be perfect for a .458 bullet and a double wrap of .0035 copy paper. I've only shot it with .457 round ball and a .018 ticking patch and with lighter charges in the 45gr FFF range it shoots as well as I can hold it. Don't know how it would do with heavier charges as the twist is pretty fast for round ball.
The rifle is 45" overall with a 13" length of pull and a 1&3/4 drop at the heel and weighs 8.5lbs. Obviously it was meant to represent a plains style or Hawken rifle. The bore is well cared for and I kept it clean there is no rust and only a few handling marks none serious. The sights are a modern buckhorn rear and the front is a small gold bead.
I am asking $825 which include shipping any where in the CONUS it is legal to ship to. I prefer postal money order but personal checks are OK with time to clear.
I'd love to have that gun as my dance partner at the range. Just beutifully done. If it shoots as good as it looks, it's a family heirloom!

Josephg
Did not receive PM thought it looks like you posted on my profile. I sent you a PM look up at the top right of this screen and you will see an envelope icon. Click on that then click on the message and it will open and we can get started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back