• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ungrateful identification seekers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave, here is a thank you from me to you and others who post in this thread. I learn a lot from those sharings of expertise. I too agree it is rude for the one timers to not at least acknowledge help with a simple thank you. Do know those of us who check this thread appreciate information that is shared here. Having noted this, I still understand the frustration of spending time to help someone and not even getting a simple thanks.

I think something that's worth remembering is, when one of our members answers questions in this area of the forum or, come to think about it, in all areas of the forum, it isn't just the person who asked the question that benefits from the answer. It is everyone who reads the answer, if they are at all interested in the subject.

Very few of us take the time to thank the person who gives us the answer but I think I can speak for all of us when I say, we all are grateful to every member who takes the time to answer questions on the forum. Especially here in the Firearms Identification area.

Dave, I understand where you are coming from.
I'm sure the recipients of your knowledge are grateful for it most of the time, original poster or not. As someone else stated, we all benefit from the answers of those here who's answers are worth reading. Your posts being exceptional. I do look forward to them.
I think something to be kept in mind I. This section is that often the "fly by nighter" asking about a particular gun has little or no interest in muzzle loaders and landed here in the process of searching the internet for answers. They also don't know where else to look. I myself ask question on this forum in general that I could learn the answer to with a lot of time and digging, and, at the risk of still coming up with the wrong info. There is still a lot of myth, old wives tales, and other poor info out there regarding muzzle loading that people pass on as pure truth. So, I ask here. Often some answers send me in the right direction to research my question further.

Thank you for your contributions here and elsewhere on the forum.

I joined this Forum to learn, and I have learned more about muzzleloaders and the associated knowledge in my 7 years here than I did in the previous 37 years I was involved with them. In the process I have "rubbed shoulders" with a lot of fine, knowledgeable people, and other eager searchers of knowledge. I have had the chance to interact with the best of you all, and will admit that even with the most cantankerous of our members, I found common ground, shared civilized communications with them, and learned from them. In cases where they have left our community, I was truly sad to see them go.

In the past, I may have been one of those 9 lepers previously referred to. If so, my ignorance was inadvertent. I have learned from so many of you, and I am truly grateful to all of you. Indeed, to every member of this Forum, I am happy to be here in your company.

Richard/Grumpa

Hi,
Although I can often help, I've really limited my participation in this section because I am sick and tired of ungrateful posters. Some folks appear to expect those of us with some expertise to do their detective work for them without ever acknowledging the help. I've grown tired of it so I no longer help folks I don't personally know.

dave

I certainly don't blame you for taking this position. A long time ago a friend said: "There are Two Types of People -- Givers and Takers". So true.

As Richard/Grumpa points out, this has been a great place for valuable information for the new person just getting into ML activity. I sometimes worry that my questions are simple or annoying, and I never ask without doing previous research. But the assistance I have received has been extensive and kind. Especially, I want to comment on the help Zonie has provided me. Not only have I thanked him, but usually apologize for being a "pest" with my questions. We are perfect strangers, yet Zonie answers me with compassion and elaboration and I so appreciate that--- in fact every response I have received from others has been in that style. Us new guys are forever grateful to this community, and and so appreciate all of your contributions.
Also, even when not asking questions or actively participating, I am learning from reading the posts.
So I thank the entire community for the valuable secondary knowledge I have gained by just reading and listening.
Flip
Johnstown, Pa

Hi Folks,
I find that most folks who frequent this entire forum are great to deal with even when we have disagreements. Debate, discussion, and learning are certainly what MF is all about. Thanks for all your kind remarks and I appreciate them. I am not fishing for compliments and thank yous and I will always respond to inquiries from members I recognize. I am just being very selective about who I try to help in this "Firearms Identification" section. While I often help members in other sections very conveniently by citing my experiences and posting examples, however, in this section a good and reliable response often requires quite a bit of time with research among my references. I may spend over an hour locating a source or following up a hunch. I am happy to do that for folks I know but I mostly will ignore those that I see signed up just for the purpose of finding out about their one gun and particularly if they want to know what it is worth.
Thanks,
dave

While I understand where your coming from please keep this in mind.

If you have knowledge that can help to identify a gun that someone is asking about in the Firearms Identification area, you are not only answering the question for the person who asked the question but you are helping us all learn about the gun.
I think I can speak for everyone when I say, we all are grateful for any and all knowledge that you share with us.

Dave, thanks for what you share with us.

Having said that, I was not one of the "guilty", because, I don't know enough to ask an intelligent question.

Last edited:
Hello. A note from a newby to this site, but a long time BP shooter. (I got an 1858 Remington kit (CVA) back in high school, “built it”, and shot the grooves out of the barrel, and then a Kentucky rifle repro - after saving up). I then joined the army for 25 years and lost touch w it, but now just got back into it. I posted a mystery shotgun back in this section, back in March, and have looked almost every day since for any reply’s.

I’m patiently awaiting the expert advice and wisdom of someone who’s been around these works of art much longer than I. I will surely be grateful for any info about that bumble bee makers mark. I’ve gotten no replies yet, but I’m still enthusiastically waiting.

I’ve also read everything I can get my hands on, including all the research I can do after work and before, to no avail.

Your combined expertise lends great value and education to those of us in the learning phase, and the community is therefore better as a whole due to your effort. Thank you to all who take the time to post “free” information and advice.

Hey....it kinda annoys me too, when the newbie asks for the value.....I know they will disappear.
so I give a real low ball answer, " I have seen several sell for $100. "
Maybe I should say I saw a couple like it go for $3000+.

Crankshaft, I know where you are coming from. I see this on every firearms forum that I frequent. While it may seem an annoyance to some, particularly when the information is easily found via the search button. However, by offering polite and pleasant response, we are leaving a friendly and helpful impression of the forum. As I have seen on other forums, this encourages forum growth and interest in the hobby.

OK, I feel the need to post a comment as I’m new to both BP and this forum. I’m just starting to shoot in some local silhouette shoots and am building my first Hawken kit. The help when I’ve asked has been responsive and very helpful and for that I’m thankful. This is a terrific source of information for all kinds of information, so you all have my thanks.

When one has exhausted their search for information it is appropriate to ask questions, however in this age of "what have you done for me lately" is gets irritating. Then the question of value is asked. Definitely shows interest in the almighty dollar, instead of the article in question, the serviceability, and history of an item. Makes me wonder what is the real interest of some individuals. I enjoy the information here about all subjects along with the photos of persona, weapons and tools. Thanks to the posters for having the patience and taking time to post the history and photos.

Latest posts

Back