• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SOLD Unfired Pietta .50 Smith Carbine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Pietta Smith .50 carbine. Looks like a display model (came with other NOS guns). Typical rack/handling bumps on wood. Metal near perfect. Bore pristine. Factory grease in action. Asking $1250 shipped. New, and mostly out of stock, these go for north of $1300 + shipping and taxes.
IMG_20220418_175833364.jpg
IMG_20220418_143029928.jpg
IMG_20220418_143206204.jpg
IMG_20220418_143043377.jpg
IMG_20220418_143152049.jpg
IMG_20220418_143050785.jpg
IMG_20220418_143158713.jpg
IMG_20220418_143618247.jpg
IMG_20220418_143600239.jpg
IMG_20220418_143436730.jpg

Last edited:
I'm gonna jump in here and clarify. The Smith Carbine was originally manufactured prior to 1865, and uses an external priming system, (musket caps.). Therefore it meets all the requirements for selling/ buying/ discussing on this forum.

The Smith is one of my favorite ACW carbines.

a beauty for someone. just add powder & bullet and a musket cap, and you are good to go.

I believe the originals had a rubber or foil cartridge. The skirmishers now use plastic tubes that are readily available and are reloadable.

I believe the originals had a rubber or foil cartridge. The skirmishers now use plastic tubes that are readily available and are reloadable.
The original Smith cartridges are some kind of rubber (reported to be India Rubber) covered with paper. As a kid in the 1960s shooting original rubber cased cartridges (they were available and that’s what we had to shoot) you really had a cleanup mess on your hands from that rubber case as I remember it.
1650384350678.jpeg

any way or anyhow, they are a great fun gun to shoot!!!! I use white & black nylon in mine. some times aluminum & brass also. they are all good for it.

The Smith Carbine patient dates to 1857, and ranked 4th in most used carbine in service of the CW. Originals even saw action in the Battle of Red Buttes up in Wyoming 1865. The originals used hard rubber cases which expanded to more efficiently seal the breech upon firing. Original cartridge loadings were 50 gr 3fg and a 350 gr lead bullet. Many Smith cartridges were made with a lead foil inner wrap followed by an outer paper wrap to the desired size. Todays Smiths use , most frequently, black aero space plastic cartridges better resembling the original hard rubber cases. These can be reloaded many many times, and they are much more affordable than the brass machined casings. With NSSA shooting competition the Smith is a very popular carbine.

The black plastic cases work well. They seal the breech nicely and allow several different bullet diameters to fit in the case mouth. The brass ones only allow for one diameter which may or may not work well for accuracy depending on the individual firearm.

If I didn’t already own one I’d buy this. They are excellent and fun guns for sure.

EAF72214-6997-4B0B-ADEC-41A5C35E3ABD.jpeg

If the carbine is still available, I'll take it.

Respectfully,
Bob S.

The black plastic cases work well. They seal the breech nicely and allow several different bullet diameters to fit in the case mouth. The brass ones only allow for one diameter which may or may not work well for accuracy depending on the individual firearm.

If I didn’t already own one I’d buy this. They are excellent and fun guns for sure.

View attachment 135243
Smokey are they very accurate out to 100 yds or 150?

Smokey are they very accurate out to 100 yds or 150?

With the right load and a good marksman, they can be. These are combat weapons and have an effective range of about 200-300 yards. While not target rifles, skirmisher’s have gotten some really good groups out of these over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back