• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Unfired Muzzleloaders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
During the COVID lockdown last year, I started buying and selling vintage and collectable guns to both keep busy and make up for some lost income. As I like muzzleloaders anyway, I took in quite a few - of all makes and models. One thing that struck me was how many had never been fired, probably close to 60%. Maybe more. The past few months I have moved into large online gun auctions, Like Rock Island, etc. Now the percentage of production guns found unfired is approaching 80%. Today I received three TC Hawkens, including one in box, and none have been fired. So I wonder how many people bought guns like this thinking it would be fun and never fired round one? Seems sad, really. Some of these guns have been around for 40-50 years and just sat in a safe ir closet or hung on a wall. I can't imagine buying a gun and not shooting it, even my antique ones. Thoughts?

I have bought a few unfired I think some folks thought the sport seemed fun and just never followed through after buying. I do have a new TC Cherokee barrel that I just bought unfired and I will probably keep it that way as I have others that I fire regularly. Doesnt make sense I know I just like the thought of it being new old stock.

While I don't have a large collection, I do shoot all of them. Maybe 1 or 2 not so much.
I know a few guys who own 20, 30 guns or more and most never shot once.
I guess some people just like to collect them just to say, oh yeah I got one of those.
To each their own, I guess.

I can honestly say that I’ve never owned a gun that I didn’t shoot at least once. Now, I’ve never had any high end collectible guns which is probably just as well cause I’d have shot them.😁

in my entire gun addicted life,(a 70 year addiction) i have had 1(one, uno) that i never fired. A modern rifle. couldn't stand having it just sitting there so sold it.

way too cheap!
wife says that's the only way i know , buy high and sell low:dunno:

Last edited by a moderator:
Many muzzle loaders were bought to given as gifts, and the people receiving them just said thanks and put them back, Some were probably bought as an investment. Right now I have two "modern" guns that I bought as investments and they are NIB.

I can agree that well over half the rifles and pistols I come across ate unfired. Im in the “why fire every one I have” camp. I have a couple that I like to use, so see absolutely no reason to rush out to shoot one I happened to obtain unfired. I buy them because I enjoy having them around, and they dont eat a lot either. And I dont lose a lot if any money meanwhile.

Back when commemoratives were all the rage, I think thge majority were not bought to shoot. The thought was to turn them quickly for a profit or put them away for 20 years as an investment. Guys I knew that did this mostly died, leaving family with what they thought was a huge windfall. While some did appreciate in value, others have not.

There are a good number of black powder firearms "out there" from the 60's in the hands of families who have not only no interest but no clue as to what they have.

I worked for a police department and when one of the supervisors retired we pooled our money and bought him a NIB Thompson Center Hawken. Someone had a case made for it and we presented it to him. He liked the mountain man era, but wasn't a black powder shooter.

Of course I wasn't in on the decision of what to buy. Im sure he never took it out of the case, much less fire it.

He's long gone now, no clue who ended up with the rifle.

During the COVID lockdown last year, I started buying and selling vintage and collectable guns to both keep busy and make up for some lost income. As I like muzzleloaders anyway, I took in quite a few - of all makes and models. One thing that struck me was how many had never been fired, probably close to 60%. Maybe more. The past few months I have moved into large online gun auctions, Like Rock Island, etc. Now the percentage of production guns found unfired is approaching 80%. Today I received three TC Hawkens, including one in box, and none have been fired. So I wonder how many people bought guns like this thinking it would be fun and never fired round one? Seems sad, really. Some of these guns have been around for 40-50 years and just sat in a safe ir closet or hung on a wall. I can't imagine buying a gun and not shooting it, even my antique ones. Thoughts?

I have a surefire cure for your urge to buy lots of production BP guns - come and live in UK.

Once you've tried to buy ANY modern replicas via our legal system, you'll take up collecting Fabergé eggs.

It's easier - all you need is money.

Negotiated a price at a show for a modern rifle, highly collectible, about 30 years old. Still had the hang tag and lever strapped down from the factory. After it was mine I cut the tie and operated the action, thought the seller would faint!! Shot it before I got home.

I am a user and appreciate fine muzzle loaders. I use and care for them carefully.

Don

Last edited by a moderator:
I was helping run a booth at the CLA show a few years ago. Lots of high end custom guns are traded and sold there over the weekend. One fellow was picking over the flints looking for one "perfect" flint. After about 15 minutes he finally decided on one and paid me for it. I asked him "what are you going to do with just one flint?" He replied "I just bought a new gun and I like to put a flint in the lock before I hang it on the wall".

Personally I shoot all my guns at least once a year, some get shot a lot more than others. If they are not fun to shoot then I get rid of them.

Not intto wall hangers. I have a couple that have not been shot YET, they are new to me, will go out as soon as possible.

Longest I have had one unfired was about 2 1/2 years , to much work. Than when I did fire it, a Unmentionably modern. the first shot cost $23.00. Range fee, sights were of and broke a target frame, and the cartridge

Personally, I like fancy wall hangers that looks like it came out of the 1700 and 1800's. All of my guns have been shot many times, except a Rupp I built and I am not going to shoot that one. After I'm gone the family can decide. Not even sure any of the Grandkids will even be interested in muzzleloaders or muzzleloading.

I have a large trove of muzzle loading guns that I've never fired. Just never seem to find the time. BUT!! I'm retiring at the end of this year. So starting next year, I plan on burning a lot of powder and lead. LOL Hope my bank account can keep up. LOL

Been following the auctions over the last 10 years or so. It is interesting to see all the custom and factory muzzle loaders from the 1960's to 1980's turning up. And many in new, unfired condition. And many are bringing top dollar. But every once in a while you can end up with a real bargain. But the last 3-4 years the hammer price is considerably more than I would have guessed. Glad I purchased most of my stuff 5+ years ago.

Rick

While I don't have a large collection, I do shoot all of them. Maybe 1 or 2 not so much. I know a few guys who own 20, 30 guns or more and most never shot once. I guess some people just like to collect them just to say, oh yeah I got one of those. To each their own, I guess./QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat, but for more prosaic reasons here in UK.

Latest posts

Back