• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Unfired Muzzleloaders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've noticed that too - how many used guns have never been used. I'm sure a lot of them were a nostalgia thing, and when they found out it needs to be disassembled and cleaned after use, they've heard the stories of guns blowing up (incorrect charge or powder, obstruction), rusting, ramrod speared hands, fingers blown off, stuck balls, etc. - they decided they didn't want to damage the pretty thing and just enjoyed handling it.

There is a bit of a learning curve getting into BP and not knowing what to believe, the negatives can get all blown out of proportion. How many of us wouldn't drive if we thought it was highly likely we'd get killed or maimed in the first month?

During the COVID lockdown last year, I started buying and selling vintage and collectable guns to both keep busy and make up for some lost income. As I like muzzleloaders anyway, I took in quite a few - of all makes and models. One thing that struck me was how many had never been fired, probably close to 60%. Maybe more. The past few months I have moved into large online gun auctions, Like Rock Island, etc. Now the percentage of production guns found unfired is approaching 80%. Today I received three TC Hawkens, including one in box, and none have been fired. So I wonder how many people bought guns like this thinking it would be fun and never fired round one? Seems sad, really. Some of these guns have been around for 40-50 years and just sat in a safe ir closet or hung on a wall. I can't imagine buying a gun and not shooting it, even my antique ones. Thoughts?
Like buying a bottle of good Whiskey and never opening the bottle and taking a swig now and then!

I was helping run a booth at the CLA show a few years ago. Lots of high end custom guns are traded and sold there over the weekend. One fellow was picking over the flints looking for one "perfect" flint. After about 15 minutes he finally decided on one and paid me for it. I asked him "what are you going to do with just one flint?" He replied "I just bought a new gun and I like to put a flint in the lock before I hang it on the wall".

Personally I shoot all my guns at least once a year, some get shot a lot more than others. If they are not fun to shoot then I get rid of them.
There are collectors guns and guns bought to do a job! To me it's not the shine on the gun but the things it could tell sitting at a campfire that make it interesting!

Finish a Kibler Colonial a month ago, posted pics on here. Really took my time and did some minor carving on it. Spent a week carefully finishing it.
As soon as the finish was dry went shooting. Has a couple dings in it already, even being careful. Built it to use.

Don

Just a thought, some of the NIB-ish ‘70s vintage guns on the market now might have been purchased in the Bicentennial era as wall hangers to begin with. Everything was Spirit of ‘76 back then.

That’s when I first tried BP by building and shooting several CVA rifle and pistol kits. I used the petroleum based lube that came in the CVA shooting kit and had a horrible experience with bore fouling using black powder. That turned me off of muzzleloaders for a couple of years. Similar experiences were no doubt had by others in that era.

When I discovered Bore Butter, my black powder shooting became enjoyable. It’s the form of shooting that I like best now.

I finished a Kibler Colonial a couple weeks ago and haven’t gotten around to christening it in yet! Too hot here and a week of daily rain has kept it next to the sofa, poised for action. Funny because I can just shoot it off my front porch if I wanted to. I guess I am holding off for the perfect day or something!

ot intto wall hangers. I have a couple that have not been shot YET, they are new to me, will go out as soon as possible.
Longest I have had one unfired was about 2 1/2 years , to much work. Than when I did fire it, a Unmentionably modern. the first shot cost $23.00. Range fee, sights were of and broke a target frame, and the cartridge

That'll teach ya.

I finished a Kibler Colonial a couple weeks ago and haven’t gotten around to christening it in yet! Too hot here and a week of daily rain has kept it next to the sofa, poised for action. Funny because I can just shoot it off my front porch if I wanted to. I guess I am holding off for the perfect day or something!

Excuses excuses........ you DO have a front porch do you not? I'm headed out this morning to shoot my newly assembled flintlock even though I haven't done anything to the barrel yet. It'll still brown just fine even after I put a few shots downrange.

Some of these guns have been around for 40-50 years and just sat in a safe ir closet or hung on a wall. I can't imagine buying a gun and not shooting it, even my antique ones. Thoughts?

I've owned two and only two "unfired" specimens. One was a Miroku Bess kit that a former sutler found he had stored, still in the box, in his basement. I built it and sold it to another reenactor. The second one was an estate sale. The owner was an ACW lecturer, but among his new fangled, caplock, rifled muskets, was a Bess and a Charleville. I got the Charleville and bayonet. (iirc) He would display them along with the ACW rifled muskets to show the audience what had been used leading up to the ACW. Neither flintlock was sold as "unfired" and I didn't realize what I'd bought until it arrived and I looked at the frizzen and then stuffed an endoscope down the barrel.

Everything else I own has been fired though.

LD

I have some that I have not fired. They are originals and I just do t fire them. The one exception is the rifle
That my great great grandfather had and used. I have shot it. Others that I have I have shot and hopefully continue to shoot.

Excuses excuses........ you DO have a front porch do you not? I'm headed out this morning to shoot my newly assembled flintlock even though I haven't done anything to the barrel yet. It'll still brown just fine even after I put a few shots downrange.
Yupyup! Don’t blow yourself up young man! Remember the wood end goes against yer shoulder, not the other way around :cool:

I have been stung twice purchasing "unfired" flintlocks over the internet. First was a Stoeger made musket of a French pattern. Still not sure what it is meant to present. Seller stated it was unfired and that he did not know much about it. When I received it, it was unfired, because the vent had never been drilled. There was a mark on the barrel in the correct place that the vent should be drilled, but it had not. I have since drilled it and fired it once, but I remain unsure about it.
The second was a Japanese Tower pistol from the '70s It came as unfired and when I put a flint in it, I found that the lock mechanics are not correct. The frizzen spring is way too heavy and the main spring may be too light. I have spent a little time trying to lighten the frizzen spring but no luck yet.
I have lots of guns that I don't shoot, both black powder and unmentionables, no two alike. I have my favorites that I like to take out and others that I just look at and talk to others about as examples of the progression of design over time.

Woody

I've noticed that too - how many used guns have never been used. I'm sure a lot of them were a nostalgia thing, and when they found out it needs to be disassembled and cleaned after use, they've heard the stories of guns blowing up (incorrect charge or powder, obstruction), rusting, ramrod speared hands, fingers blown off, stuck balls, etc. - they decided they didn't want to damage the pretty thing and just enjoyed handling it.

There is a bit of a learning curve getting into BP and not knowing what to believe, the negatives can get all blown out of proportion. How many of us wouldn't drive if we thought it was highly likely we'd get killed or maimed in the first month?
I'm surprised I wasn't killed in the 1st month I started driving.....loved speed....then again, gas at that time was only $0.23/Gal.

These are the only muzzleloader I own that haven't been fired but no one has challenged me to a duel either.... 🤣

Attachments

• pix195397543 (1).jpg
    pix195397543 (1).jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 73
Back