• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

---UNDERHAMMER THREAD---

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BillinOregon said:
Pete, in addition to no fabrication skills, I have no money ... :redface:
Richard, you are a lucky man to have several of his pieces.

No money, even Bill Gates has a budget.

Yes, I am.

The 45 rifle is the last rifle he built. I asked him to build me a "fun" rifle and left it up to him on what he wanted to do. He added a nice rear adjustable sight, Lyman globe front sight and Lyman peep sight. Like I said it is a great squirrel and would make a good child's rifle due to the weight and balance.

The other rifles he let me go through his inventory and pick what I wanted.

The 32 pistol I bought in Friendship last September. Fellow was putting it up on the wall for sale. When he finished hanging it I went to find a bore light. It was on the wall 15 minutes and went to my truck.

azmntman said:
Never having owned, or even seen one, I wonder if there is ever a issue with caps falling off (gravity?) during a hunt?

There are some safety concerns that come with under hammer's. Most do not have a safety notch.

The hammer is either resting on the nipple or it is at full cock. You have to be ready to shoot prior to putting a cap on the nipple. I do not cap when hunting till I am ready to shoot. If it cost me a critter, oh well.

Never had a problem with caps falling off ,,yet.However the cap fragments can be a little attention getting on your lower arm but hay,that just lets you know it went off.My UH is my go to gun for hunting.And so long as it is Ugly no body will steal it!!!!!that is a plus.

just got finished building my first underhammer,.36 cal with 36in long barrel. curly maple butt stock and no forend..

I've shown my H&A on here several times but you may not have seen it. It started life in my Air Force days as a Buggy Rifle bought in Alomogordo New Mexico, has a Green Mountain barrel in 60 twist and .45 cal.
I have a new flat sided underhammer action that I will make into probably a .58 one day.

Colonial Boy, I have never seen that type of underhammer before and am fascinated by it.

43574814794_e0d710b8fa_o.jpg

I always say that it has 1 and 1/2 moving parts as the spring-hammer only bends.

:grin: That's a perfect description.

I think I'm going to attempt a rifle build using that design. Does the spring hammer rotate to the side to facilitate placement of the cap and resetting the trigger? I assume there's no trigger return spring, and the hammer is pushed forward manually to reset under the spring hammer.

What would you guess is the trigger pull weight?

It doesn't cock Clyde, it just pulls through. It looks like you just pull the bow far enough to the rear to seat a new cap but not far enough to disengage the hammer nose.
If I were going to use it on a rifle I'd make a hammer block for seating the cap. Shoot, a twig jammed between the spring and barrel would do the job fine.
Talk about trigger creep! :rotf:

How do you like the strap iron pistol grip guys? I know it looks kind of busy on the underside for an underhammer but it shoots like dream and you can use it while wearing a T shirt without burning your forearm.

Skycheif,

Just saw this, but I'm at work and can't send my pics.. Let me get home tonight and I'll send pics of my Underhammer(s)

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Latest posts

Back