• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

---UNDERHAMMER THREAD---

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I know there are some underhammer aficionados here.

Let's see some of them and hear about them here please!

I've been monkeying around with my .58 Hopkins and Allen Improved. Each time I get her out, I marvel more at the simple, efficient design.

I find little devoted to them on the World Wide Web. Hoping we can change that a bit with this thread.

Please contribute anything.

Fire away, Skychief :thumbsup:

Here's mine. My buddies (who are not muzzleloader enthusiasts) call it the ugliest gun ever invented. I think it's a thing of beauty.

44248685221_99f030d3c8_c.jpg

44248683491_988caf731e_c.jpg

30381952748_1040af421d_b.jpg

44248686281_04d329a4f0_c.jpg

I currently have a Hopkins and Allen in .58 cal. 32" barrel and a P.Bondini .36 cal target pistol, both are very accurate and fun to shoot, i love the simplicity of the design, I've collected several barrels and I plan on adapting them to the H&A receiver, including a .22 cal barrel which I think would be a fun plinker and pest getter, I saw a pistol built off the H&A rifle action that was pretty interesting also.

Whaaaa! We can fix that, I'll send you my address and you can send that unused hunk o junk to me, I'll even pay for the shipping. I'll be glad to take care of that misunderstood unwanted derelict for you. No problem, dont mind taking care of that for you cause thats just the kinda guy I am. Always willing to help.
David Mc

I believe not much is said because your comments just about say it all. They are simple, reliable, inexpensive and accurate. I sold them from my shop in Indiana in the 1970s. My family used them in compeitition at Friendship and won many matches. I had to do some work on the trigger sear for competition. But, as simple as the rifle was I kept some 'un messed with' triggers handy for use in the field. I also believe not much is said because they are the ugly ducklings of the ml world. Most of us prefer the looks of a nice full stocker or hawken style to them under bangers. Enjoy, it won't let you down.

I have a H/A Haritage model underhammer in 45 cal Ugly and Accurate I'll take ugly any day. Looking for other cal barrels that will interchange with it.be sweet to have a smooth bore and a big slug barrel for it.

Yes, I have to agree the under hammer rifle is not too great to look at until you see it shoot.
I have had an under hammer rifle for fifty years, it has never let me down.
In 1975 I purchased thirteen under hammer rifles from Numrich Arms in West Hurley, N.Y. and brought them back home to share with friends.
Many people who do not know the rifle sneer at their looks and grumble that they are not HC or period correct until they are educated. Then when they get their ass whipped at the range try and find some reason to forbid their use.
I have used mine at local shoots even against modern guns and still beat them. :redface:
I have several barrels for mine and enjoy the rifle to no end.
You can put my name in the under hammer club.
Fred

Here's a couple that I've built. The top one is .45cal and used for long range shooting (up to 1000 yards) and the bottom one is .38cal and used for offhand shooting. Both "Billinghurst" style and shoot paper patched bullets.

https://ibb.co/nxWqCp

I made four of them ranging from a 45 cal rifle
to three pistols starting at 45 to 40 down to a
22 cal. sold all the pistols and robbed the rilfe
barrel for something else......Wulf

Last edited by a moderator:
J-team said:
Here's a couple that I've built. The top one is .45cal and used for long range shooting (up to 1000 yards) and the bottome one is .38cal and used for offhand shooting. Both "Billinghurst" style and shootpaper patched bullets.

https://ibb.co/nxWqCp

Actually, those are pretty attractive rifles. You will have to try harder to be joining the 'ugly' club. :thumbsup:

Skychief said:
I know there are some underhammer aficionados here.

Let's see some of them and hear about them here please!

I find little devoted to them on the World Wide Web.

Searching the Percussion Rifles forum here, you should find multiple threads about U/H rifles.

Google "The Underhammer Society" you will get their blog.

Google "underhammer rifles" & you will find much discussion about them

J-team, congratulations on those wonderful builds. I am simply in awe.
I am sorry that Roger Renner quit building his wonderful underhammers.
Herschel Logan's book on underhammers is a must for the true aficionado.
Here is the lock design for a rifle built by Dr. Raymond Gorning, an M.D., as described in the Ned Roberts' "Muzzleloading Caplock Rifle." Always thought this an elegant design but I have no fabricating skills.

I have 4 Ingrham under hammer pistols (32-36-40-45) and 3 of his rifles (32-36-45). The 45 rifle weights 5 pounds and it has a Montana barrel. He had been saving it for 30 years or so. It is a joy to squirrel hunt with.

For many years the Ingrham under hammer pistol was the dominant line pistol in state matches, it is still winning today.

Actually 2 people built under hammer pistols and rifles in Texas, Wade Ingrham and Bob Mims.

I was able to spend time with Wade Ingrham and see his shop.

Bob Mims is over 90 now and still winning matches in Brady in the light bench agg.

Latest posts

Back