• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Underhammer--Switching Barrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plainsman53

32 Cal
Reaction score
I've got a question for those who have the H&A underhammers with the allen set screws holding the barrel in place. How do you get them in the same place when you remove them or switch them with another barrel?
I don't have a rear sight on my smoothbore and when I get a rifle barrel for it I'll be wanting to use a receiver or tang mounted peep. I need to get them back right if I change them out. I'd thought of drilling a recess into the breech plug for one of the screws but don't know if that's good enough or if there is a better way. Any ideas?

I have that action but never switch barrels but thinking on it I would have to say perhaps the best method to keep sight alignment when switching barrels is witness marks at top dead center and at 90 degrees to one side on both barrel and action. Adjust and tighten set screws on both axis until witness marks align center. You will of course need to mark the receiver and original barrel before removal then mount the new barrel and adjust the set screws and shoot the new barrel to the same point of impact of the receiver sight and new barrel front sight then mark the new barrel.

Last edited:
I have witness marks on the barrel and the receiver for my barrels.

The nipple/hammer fit does a good job of alignment.

I don't have a tang sight.

Latest posts

Back