• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Underhammer stock and action?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeb33050

32 Cal
Reaction score
No name I can find, barrel hole ~ .850, no barrel, Who made it? What's it worth, if anything? I've never seen such a thing.
Thanks;
joe b..

Attachments

• UNDERHAMMER FRONT.JPG
    UNDERHAMMER FRONT.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 145
  • UNDERHAMMER LEFT.JPG
    UNDERHAMMER LEFT.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 144
  • UNDERHAMMER RIGHT.JPG
    UNDERHAMMER RIGHT.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 138
It's made much like the H&A underhammer rifles once offered by Numrich Arms. But I've never seen an H&A with a buttstock shaped like the one you posted. Those underhammer rifles were quality and were very accurate; I hunted with mine for years and shot bobcats and deer. I bought this one in the mid 1960s and still have it.

PICT0387-1.jpg

A custom build, possibly inspired by H&A underhammers. If the parts are hardened and the springs adjusted it wouldn't take any time at all to get it shooting. Sights, barrel, breech plug and minimal machine work.

i think the plug was just a grade. 8 bolt fitted like a standard breech plug than cut off flush to end of barrel. just to seal end of barrel. or did the anchor pin go through it??

I need to sell it; what is this thing worth?
Thanks;
joe b.
It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay. Obviously, it's not worth much to you. What did you pay for it? That would be a good starting point. Frankly, this is a piece for an auction and letting the market decide.

Mainly looking at how close the pin is to the nipple. Not a lot of threads there. Pin could go through the breech plug once it's threaded in, but still it's mighty thin. Hammer should be forward of the action like a H&A so you have plenty of threads to engage.

plugs on these are pretty simple. The end of the plug sticks out past the barrel and slip fits into the receiver. Plenty of meat on tht receiver for a barrel as it's not threaded to the receiver. The taper pin from side to side tightens the hold. About the only stress on the action is rearward during firing.

OP, do a little research on a complete guns value and price your parts accordingly.

Mainly looking at how close the pin is to the nipple. Not a lot of threads there. Pin could go through the breech plug once it's threaded in, but still it's mighty thin. Hammer should be forward of the action like a H&A so you have plenty of threads to engage.

I had been looking at that since the photos showed up. I would ignore the cross pin (which isn't tapered) and probably bore the action deeper to allow fitting a longer breech plug. The action could also be bored larger and a slightly reduced rear section of the barrel seated inside it too. Probably some other possibilities too but they would all require some machine work.

I guess I wasn't clear; it is obvious looking at the stock/action that they were well used. They are not new, no machining is required, just need to figure out how the barrel goes in.
This reminds me of the big BP guns when I went to Ft. Ticonderoga to meet/watch Marlin Basset and Ken Bresien; the guns had 2"-3" or more dia. barrels, under or side or top hammer, had a dingus to fire with a primer, shot small groups with round balls/cloth and ?pikitt bullets/paper patch. ?198?
Anyhow, somehow the barrel goes in without any machining of action.

Latest posts

Back