• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FOR SALE Underhammer Bench Gun Project

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonboyb

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Started assembling pieces over 10 years ago and between chunk and heavy bench my father and I just never had the time to move to a new class of shooting. Pretty much a complete project here other than finishing and a butt plate of your choice. This barrel deserves to see the firing line, not just my safe. Lots more pictures to anyone interested. $800 shipped.

- James Goodoien 38", .48 cal tapered match barrel with False muzzle. 1 1/8" to 1" taper. 15+ years old and looks like the day it was milled inside and out. Very slow twist for round ball and heavy loads, on the order of 1:66 best I can measure. Already drilled for underhammer nipple and for a globe front sight. Not drilled for rear sights. Breech plug included to match the action.

- H&A style round underhammer action (1 1/4") with custom spring (trigger engaged by helper spring built onto back of mainspring instead of the little wire spring in traditional H&A actions)

- Very nice curly maple blanks for butt stock and forearm.

Package.jpg

Action.jpg

A few years ago I would have jumped on this. Looks like fun and a great entry rifle for bench rest. A Goodien barrel is as good as a barrel can get. They are so highly regarded as to almost be worshiped by some. It will be a quick seller, I am sure.

I do not know, but I have collected probably half a dozen H&A actions through the years....and I've always thought they were this size. I have a couple of these 1 1/4" actions right now. Many are filed to match an octagon barrel profile...but I've seen a branded H&A rifle with a 1 1/8" round barrel many years ago (maybe marked as H&A Target???). Then you of course get into the flat-sided reproductions like Fire&Iron, Blue Grouse, etc. Of the handfull of actions I have, if they are not true H&A's, they are 100% true to exact because I have a box full of hammers and triggers from Numerich and I always swap around until I find the best matched pairs. Now of course this mainspring isn't an H&A original....it came in a box of random H&A parts I bought off Ebay eons ago. I can certainly swap to factory H&A mainspring and trigger spring if anyone wanted.

My mistake. One of the flat sides measures 1 3/16". An older round action goes 1 5/16". Do you have enough triggers and hammers to let go of a set?

Let me look and I'll PM you Mark.

On that note....underhammers are fairly simple and this barrel can be fitted to almost any out there, and if someone wanted the barrel only and not the other goodies, just send me a message. One of the reasons this one doesn't already have the breech plug installed and already mounted....I was thinking about having Bowers make me an octagon one to match the barrel. The breech threading is a full 1" deep to the shoulder on this barrel....so it can be massaged to work with many of the underhammer actions you might find with different hammer lengths.

I've got a couple of barrels put away but give me something to think about, including the breech plug.

Back