• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Underhammer Actions?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey all. Here with another question. The Green Mountain barrels from Pecatonica River in .54 cal are 36" long. I was thinking of having them cut and re-crown it to 32". I read another post some where where a builder was going to do the same thing. He got a reply from a guy saying not to cut his barrel until his build was complete because the extra 4" might not be an issue balance wise plus the guy replying said for ever inch cut off you lose about 25fps in velocity. Any thoughts or opinions?

Huh, their advertisement in Muzzle Blasts lists a huge selection of parts for H&A. " CALL" for availability.

Yep, they are keeping it a dark secret.

They only recently have had a website, before wit was only ads in Muzzle Blasts.

Wayne,
As I recall, and that is questionable, H&A was coming out of West Hurley New York originally. New Jersey may have been a later address. They "originally" we're marketed by Numerich Arms and having their barrels made but I don't remember by whom. Quality wise, some folks are still using Numerich barrels and if they're in good order doing ok. With the improvements in barrel material and modern equipment there are probably better barrels made today but I wouldn't hesitate to use what you have.

I am going to jump in here and say a couple of things. First off a number of the fine target rifles of the late 1800's used a tapered pin to hold their barrels to the receiver. Billinghurst target rifles was probably the best known. This method of pinning the barrel was not used with underhammer actions alone. This method of holding parts securely together has been used by machinists for many years. For pinning a barrel you do not just drill a tapered hole through the receiver and barrel plug. The barrel has to be held to the receiver firmly. The hole is drilled clear through with a drill smaller than the taper pin. The hole is then expanded with a tapered drill matched to the pin size. If a proper tapered drill is not available the hole is tapered with a rat tail file. The key to doing this properly is to then separate the barrel and receiver and file a relief in the plug towards the barrel. The hole in the breech is done the same with a slight relief towards the stock. The holes are then slightly out of line. This allows the breech face of the barrel to be drawn tightly to the receiver face when the pin is driven in.
P1060575.JPG

deer creek has had their website for years, and if you want underhammer parts you have to call them, also the three screws action makes it real easy to change barrels at the range and also lot easyer to pull the nipple for cleaning

Question. Would anyone be interested in building my .54 cal Pecatonica River under hammer if I provide the kit and other materials needed such as browning and stock solutions after the new year? Willing to pay for time and material to finish. I'll also pay for shipping both ways PM me directly

Attachments

• UnderhammerParts.jpg
    UnderhammerParts.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 63
  • Underhammer3x262.jpg
    Underhammer3x262.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
I had a Numerich H&A called a "Buggy Rifle" it was in .44 cal. with a real short barrel, very easy to hunt with and a lot of fun to shoot. I had to part with it 15 years ago when I lost my job, and have been trying to replace it for a long time now, I got teased a lot by my buddy's when we went to the woods, but it was a great little gun.
Really want another one!!

I had Wade Ingrham who built under hammers of his design, build me one. It was his last rifle. They are the only under hammers that are copy righted that I know of. They are also Texas made.

I left him to do what he wanted to do. I told him I wanted a fun gun to shoot.

He used his last Montana barrel, barrel is octagon to round. Barrel is 22 1/2" in length. It's a .45. Stock is nice walnut. He worked the trigger over to where it releases at 3 lbs. Sights are Lyman globe front, Lyman rear and Lyman peep. It tips the scales at a hefty 5 lbs. It is a delight to carry, especially in the woods.

Have another he built that came with 2 barrels. One is .32 at 30" full octagon and a .36 at 28" octagon to round. Back off one screw/bolt and you easily change barrels and they hold their zero.

Under hammers may not be the most graceful rifles ever designed, but I like them.

I still have a question about barrel length vs balance on a under hammer ML. Is 4" going to make any difference? I ask because I'm trying to decide if the 36" Green Mountain barrel is going to be fine or should it be cut back to 32"? Just curious

here is one of the uh actions i started years ago. need to redo the hammer head and polish things up. M version of
a Cook action, internal mainspring. was basically just mucking about with some scraps and a vague idea of where
i was headed. made to fit in the Mar/Dag style of H&A clones..or could be made as a stand alone action???

Respect Always
jonathan

Attachments

• IMG_1476.jpg
    IMG_1476.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1477.jpg
    IMG_1477.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 76
I still have a question about barrel length vs balance on a under hammer ML. Is 4" going to make any difference? I ask because I'm trying to decide if the 36" Green Mountain barrel is going to be fine or should it be cut back to 32"? Just curious

Seems that would be dependent on the stock and the weight of it.

Guess if it is too barrel heavy at 36", you could drill a hole in the butt and add some lead to balance things out.

Kind of one of those things you won't know until it is built.

Wonder how much 4" of barrel weights? Might send GM an e-mail and ask for barrels weight of 32" and 36".

Seems that would be dependent on the stock and the weight of it.

Guess if it is too barrel heavy at 36", you could drill a hole in the butt and add some lead to balance things out.

Kind of one of those things you won't know until it is built.

Wonder how much 4" of barrel weights? Might send GM an e-mail and ask for barrels weight of 32" and 36".
Chatted with someone from GM. First they don't have or sell 32" barrels. Their .54cal 36"X1" octagon barrel weigh 9-10lbs. If I did my math right, not sure that's a good way to figure it, a 36" barrel weigh about 160oz divided by 36=4.444oz per inch. If you times that by 4 it equals a little over 17oz or just a hair over 1lb so I guess it's just a matter if you want an additional pound hanging out front. Does that all make sense??? I think I'd cut barrel to 32" instead of adding weight to the butt stock

Back