• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

CLOSED Under-rib for Jonathan Browning mountain rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GANGGREEN

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I just picked up a really clean Browning mountain rifle and I'll likely turn around and sell it again, but although it's in really nice condition, it's without an underrib or ramrod for some reason. If anyone has one for sale reasonably, I'd be interested, but if not I'll likely make a wood underrib and attach it with tenons.

Already checked Gunbroker and Ebay with no luck. I can't imagine Dixie or anywhere like that would have one, so I'm mostly hoping that perhaps someone had a parts gun lying around somewhere for some reason.

Dixie or Track of the Wolf won't have any Browning parts.But they should have something in the form of a rib that would work.A hollow rib would be nice as those Rifles weigh enough already!

If you don't find your Browning specific underrib there's a Great Plains Rifle rib & thimbles in the parts/accessories section that should be pretty easy to make work on your gun.

If you don't find your Browning specific underrib there's a Great Plains Rifle rib & thimbles in the parts/accessories section that should be pretty easy to make work on your gun.

Thanks, I'll check it out. Also had a tentative offer for the rifle "as is" and I may go that route at some point if I can't find the time to monkey with it soon.

I checked the Numrich/Gun Parts Corp. website and didn't find what you need. Parts for that Browning rifle are notoriously hard to find.

Personally, I like the idea of a wooden under-rib. The Augustin Lacome rifle in the New Mexico State museum in Santa Fe has a wooden rib. While the rifle is reportedly unsigned, it appears to be a Hawken that was originally full stocked, but the stock was later cut back and fitted with a poured nosecap, and a wood underrib was installed on the barrel. It is a fine looking old rifle.

I don't mean to hijack your thread... Sorry! I hope you find what you need.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

I don't mind a hijack, especially if it's to give information or confirm that my plans aren't crazy. I can easily find a raw under-rib and make it work (or purchase one for a Great Plains rifle or something) but I'd prefer to either get exactly the right part, to build a wooden under-rib or to sell the gun without the rib just to get it off my plate and to allow the new owner to decide how he/she would like to finish it.

Call Deer Creek Products in Waldron, In 765 525 6181 They bought all the Jon Browning rifle parts that were left. I bought an under rib from them about 2 years ago and more Browning parts more recently. The rib was already brownwed as I remember...............

Oh, that would be awesome. I'll do it and report back. Thanks. Open 10-4 central time, Monday-Friday, so I'll call tomorrow AM.

Last edited:
OK, by way of an update, Deer Creek did have the rib. It took me several days to get through to them or to get a response, but I now have the rib, the screws and the thimbles (I'll have to solder them on) on the way and I'm thrilled by that.

We will want to see some pictures, you know...

I'm glad you found your rib, and its good to know Deer Creek has some parts for the JB Mountain Rifle. The scarcity of parts and the occasional need for them is the main reason I have never seriously considered getting one of these rifles.

The people at L&R would be wise to work up a replacement lock for it, along with the others in their RPL line.

Notchy Bob

The one reason I sold my JBMR was lack of spare parts after having two mainsprings break the first time I cocked the hammer back. Now, that was after at least 1,000 shots but without spare parts ...it had to go. I still have the original factory box and instruction manual b/c ...heck I don't know why I keep stuff. It killed many deer and match targets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back