• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Under hammer what do you think?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This has been an interesting thread. Some really interesting pics of some fine and unique guns. I said it, the uh pistols at the Saunders Museum need to be documented. I'm pretty much the ideal person to do that. [if ye will forgive me sayin' so myself] I am a writer and an aficionado of the old front stuffers. Plus, a close friend had the job of maintaining those guns when he was in high school. He is now a retired master ml builder and would be the perfect back up technical advisor.
Time I have. Resources? Not so much. I'm going to look into getting a grant to help. (travel, motel, meals, etc.) This might be doable.

There is a story about how the Republic of Texas traded land for UH rifles from an east coast company. Unfortunately, no one as far as I know has been able to document it. So it remains a quaint story. If you happen to come across such documentation in your research please share it! I know of one author who has been trying to track this down. :hmm:

Thank you all for your information. What amazes me when I read this thread is no one really has anything to bad to say about them. My father just bought one and I think I will have to do the same! Thank you for all the information.
:thumbsup:

Pete D. said:
Here's a pic of my .50 cal under hammer made for me by Bob Worthington at Greyhaven Arms:
Underhammer2.jpg

Pete
I keep coming back to this thread just to look at this gun.

Question on the hammer . Can this be drawn back into the fire position silently , like you can with a side hammer ? Nice if you can for hunting purposes .

shovel said:
Question on the hammer . Can this be drawn back into the fire position silently , like you can with a side hammer ? Nice if you can for hunting purposes .

Yes.

With just the one hand ?
Been seriously thinkin on buying one . That has always been the one question on my mind .

It's a two handed job. I've never had the problem with it causing deer to startle yet. Then again I rarely stalk anymore and hunt from a static location.

There is no doubt, the underhammers are fine guns. If I were to search for anything negative to say about mine, it would be the cap fragments hitting my arm if I forget to bring some kind of arm protection. The other thing that I experienced on one occasion was that when I was picking up some nipples from a dealer in Friendship, somehow a nipple with an undersize thread got mixed in with the regular nipples. I lucked out and was the one who picked it up and bought it along with several other replacement nipples. The thread was just large enough that it screwed in seemingly normally. Unfortunately there was not enough thread engagement and after a few shots, the nipple blew out. Had I been holding it in the regular way with my supporting hand on the forestock, the nipple whould have gone through my arm. Fortunately, I had chosen at that moment to hold the rifle more in the manner of a handgun with my supporting hand behind the triggerguard (it's a very light rifle and that is an easy way to hold it). The blown nipple did not hit anything other than the ground and all I had to do was to clean out the threads with a tap and replace the nipple with a correct size nipple. I have no idea what the undersize nipple was supposed to fit but I have been very careful when purchasing nipples ever since. Other than these two things, I have nothing negative to say about it.

I don't know either but I am guessing you had a 6mm nipple mixed in with your other ones 6mm figures out to be around .243-.244 vs 1/4 at .250 I have never tried to thread a 6mm into a 1/4-28 butif the thread pitch space was close it may take enough to screw in. I know my old CVA took 6mm and everything else i own uses 1/4-28 so when the drum started to get a little loose on the Cva I welded up the hole and drilled and tapped it out to 1/4 so I don't have to worry about wrong size anymore one size fits all now

You will find me hard pressed to find something bad about the UH's. I've got offhand, chunk guns and a trap gun . I even went and built a one piece full stock UH. They are simple, reliable and, like any rifle, with a good barrel are very accurate.
Mark

Those trays with all the little compartments a lot of dealers sell from do get wrong items mixed up at times. You were lucky. A nipple shot into a vein or artery would be serious business.

Mine cocks with one (right) hand, while I'm sighting in. A very quiet click, only heard when your jaw/ear is up against the stock.

Paul

I have a H&A underhammer action mated to a round T/C barrel in .50, and it is a tack driver. No regrets with this gun!

slik

Love the underhammers I've had over the years, including the current Ruggles style in my Avatar. Nothing inherently right or wrong about them,any more than there is with a side lock, top lock or mule-ear muzzleloader.

Latest posts

Back