• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Unbreakable ramrod?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just broke my supposedly unbreakable RR yesterday. It is one of those Delrin RR. It was a clean break right at the length where with the barrel loaded, the break was even with the Muzzle. Surprised the heck out of me but luckily it cam out easy with a light tap on the edge of the shooting bench so I didn't have to shoot it out.

When I needed an absolutely unbreakable rod I made one out of steel rod with the rod tips soldered and pinned. Also made one from brass.

Good straight grain hickory might be more reliable than delrin.

For my Fusil de Chasse I made one from a steel rod. I scrounged around at the range and found a used, brass rifle case that fit the end of the rod perfectly. I glued and pinned it to the rod. It ain't exactly hc/pc, but it won't break.

For rifles and pistols, I just don't use a real tight load. I use a load that slides down fairly easy. Trying to shove a super tight ball and patch combination down the barrel is just not fun for me. This way I don't worry about breaking my rod and accuracy is still good enough for me. Check out Black Powder Maniac videos and how easy his guns load. That's how mine are.

Years ago I made a ramrod out of 3/8 diameter duralun rod that we had at the shop. It worked beautiful for a couple of years until I left it on the back ledge of the car behind the rear seat in the sun.After a few weeks it turned from a bright white to a dull grey and when I tried to flex it it broke clean in two.

My unbreakable rod has been used since 2005 when I built this piece.
I have never had a lick of problems. Its a threaded steel rod that has been screwed in wood.

Back