• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Un-confuse me about Uberti

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK ..I understand Italy being the center of reproduction guns and has been for many years ..with good n bad results
I understand the Italians are capable of building whatever quality you would care to pay for being built into the firearm
I understand the two most talked about Italian manufacturers "seem" to be Pietta and Uberti (cap n ball revolver) ...like Chevy vs Ford

WHAT... I do not understand is the flow of goods... as in the case of Uberti... where WHICH channel the product flows thru appears to determine ..to a degree (?) what quality the Uberti product will be when it finally reaches my hands

A quick cursory check finds Cimmaron, Taylor and Uberti USA (which is Stoeger) marketing to dealers Uberti labeled manufactured product ....I'm sure there are others
A side bar must be noted here.. of the VAST difference in warranty provided to me.. the end user from just the above mentioned marketers

My original quest was actually to discover "which" Uberti had the most $$ invested in quality of the weapon and which Uberti tend to cheapen the model and allow the end user the job of final "joy" of spiffing it up ! (IT IS A BIG ASSUMPTION that this difference even exists so everyone keep your underwear un-wadded ) But I am trying to understand why there are many many happy Uberti users even though there are still a fair amount of grousing about Uberti product from some ...mayhaps some shooters are just nutty perfectionist??? (probably not)

Now I'm not sure the can of worms is worth opening ..PLUS it is too late for me to worry about it because I found a 5 1/2" 1862 Police on line and bought it Friday ..supposed to be here 5/19/2021 ..but I do wonder what the forces are that are creating I like or I no like Uberti's

Bear

And not to hijack the thread but the first paragraph, I have always been told the Uberti's were better than the Petta's. True or not?

And I would also like to know which source of Uberti's is best.
Inquiring minds would like to know.

I can’t address the distributor portion of your question but will comment on some points on the quality of the pistols. Each are pretty good pistols with the Uberti doing a tad better in shaping and marking. Pietta is generally a bit better in the mechanics with the arbor fit being the key point. I agree with many that they are both to be considered assembled kits as bought.
I have a recently made Uberti 1862 police that required the arbor fit corrected right out of the box. Then a light deburring of the action followed by normal new gun cleaning and oiling. It’s a fine looking and operating pistol that I’m sure will last a long time.
It puzzles me (a retired machinist ) why the simple change to the CNC program isn’t done to make the pistols arbor fit. They are aware of the Issue!

And not to hijack the thread but the first paragraph, I have always been told the Uberti's were better than the Petta's. True or not?

And I would also like to know which source of Uberti's is best.
Inquiring minds would like to know.
Thirty five plus years ago Pietta's were a hit and miss on quality, Uberti's were a much more consistent, higher quality. No longer but with many of the older folk that stigma still persists and it's been repeated over and over so often younger people believe it. Of course the fact that Pietta's typically sell for less lends itself to the misconception that Pietta's are of a lesser quality.

Thirty five plus years ago Pietta's were a hit and miss on quality, Uberti's were a much more consistent, higher quality. No longer but with many of the older folk that stigma still persists and it's been repeated over and over so often younger people believe it. Of course the fact that Pietta's typically sell for less lends itself to the misconception that Pietta's are of a lesser quality.
I need to spend less time civilizing Piettas than Ubertis. Piettas these days are just better out of the box for me, and now, just as pretty.

If you're asking about the fable that guns imported through Cimmaron, Taylors', or whoever (insert favorite importer here), were somehow better in fit and finish, I think it is just that.... a fable. Internet BS.

As to which is better, Pietta or Uberti, I find that Uberti guns look and feel more like a "real gun", if that makes any sense. Pietta, however, has been improving quality a great deal lately, and do just nicely. No matter who the importer is. ;)

OK ..I understand Italy being the center of reproduction guns and has been for many years ..with good n bad results
I understand the Italians are capable of building whatever quality you would care to pay for being built into the firearm
I understand the two most talked about Italian manufacturers "seem" to be Pietta and Uberti (cap n ball revolver) ...like Chevy vs Ford

WHAT... I do not understand is the flow of goods... as in the case of Uberti... where WHICH channel the product flows thru appears to determine ..to a degree (?) what quality the Uberti product will be when it finally reaches my hands

A quick cursory check finds Cimmaron, Taylor and Uberti USA (which is Stoeger) marketing to dealers Uberti labeled manufactured product ....I'm sure there are others
A side bar must be noted here.. of the VAST difference in warranty provided to me.. the end user from just the above mentioned marketers

My original quest was actually to discover "which" Uberti had the most $$ invested in quality of the weapon and which Uberti tend to cheapen the model and allow the end user the job of final "joy" of spiffing it up ! (IT IS A BIG ASSUMPTION that this difference even exists so everyone keep your underwear un-wadded ) But I am trying to understand why there are many many happy Uberti users even though there are still a fair amount of grousing about Uberti product from some ...mayhaps some shooters are just nutty perfectionist??? (probably not)

Now I'm not sure the can of worms is worth opening ..PLUS it is too late for me to worry about it because I found a 5 1/2" 1862 Police on line and bought it Friday ..supposed to be here 5/19/2021 ..but I do wonder what the forces are that are creating I like or I no like Uberti's

Bear
Basically I think the differences are based in past experience and perception. I believe all manufacturer warranties are fit for each model manufactured and assume it's based on averaged wear and tear per model. That's the best explanation I can come up with. :dunno:

I think the product is the same no matter where you buy Uberti but some companies do a better job with customer service. I have not done business with them all but I know that Taylor's is a good company to do business with.

I find it hard to believe that Uberti would spend the money to set up two different factories to produce guns of different quality.
This would basically involve running one factory that uses outdated, worn equipment to produce the parts for the low quality guns and a modern factory using the latest CNC machines and processes to produce the high quality guns. If this was done there would also have to be some method of preventing any of the "low quality" parts from becoming mixed with the "high quality" parts and finally two different assembly lines to assemble these two different quality lines of guns, here again, to keep the "cheap" parts from being mixed up with the "good" parts.

That said, I think the whole idea is total hogwash.

Yes, I've heard that a few companies advertise that their imported Uberti's are better than the ones sold by other competing companies but that is called "marketing".

Brokenbear,, that pretty much some's it up, well said kje54,,

I would have to repeat much of what has already been said. However, I have read more than once that both manufacturers adopted CnC machining in 2002 and after that both had a marked improvement in quality. I have 4-5 Uberti's I bought in 2000 which are definitely finished better and the lock work much smoother than my late 90's era Pietta's. I also know that for some reason the Pietta .36 cal models seem to have a slower twist rate which just doesn't shoot as good as my .36 Uberti's. There is a fellow on YouTube I follow that confirmed this as well with a neat little tool he made to determine rate of twist.

I also forgot to mention that Uberti is now a subsidiary of Beretta not Stoeger and has been for a number of years. Truth be told the "best" cap and ball revolvers were and probably still are the ROA but now long discontinued they fetch silly prices.

I have 3 ROA, but I would posit my 2 Euroarms Rogers & Spencer & my 1 ASM Rogers & Spencer are right there among the 'best' cap-and-ball percussion revolver... (although I would still like to find a R&S from either Pedersoli or even Feinwerksbau!)

Latest posts

Back