• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ultra high smoothy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzz

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone have any info on ultra high japanees smooth bore flintlock saw one today made offer but it was dismissed i been trying find info so i can feel better to offer more
Search funtion isnt working on my tablet

Ultra High guns were made by Miroku, and quality seems to have varied a great deal. At best was a knock-off of the early CVA Kentucky rifle with the two piece stock and at worst seems to be the Minute Man flintlock with a two piece barrel.
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid...
Since the Minute Man flintlock was a smoothbore, there is a good chance that it is the one you are looking at. I wouldn't want one for a wall hanger.
If I remember correctly, Miroku also made the Brown Bess that Lyman sold. Others have commented that it was one of the better Bess repos.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I remember correctly, Miroku also made the Brown Bess that Lyman sold. Others have commented that it was one of the better Bess repos.

They also made the Brown Bess for Dixie Gun Works some years back. I had one, and yes it was a quality gun in respect to function. My only complaint was the stock. After a few years I decided to refinish it. When I got it stripped, I found it was full of filler in several spots. Never could get it to stain right. I basically had two options at that point, restock it (pretty pricy), or go very dark. I used an acid stain that almost made the wood black, covered the filler and I was happy with it for another decade, until I sold it.

I currently shoot a Pedersoli Brown Bess Carbine. In my opinion, they are just as quality a gun as the older Japanese guns and there walnut stocks are some of the best. Luck of the draw, mine has some of the nicest grain I seen on one.

Like any factory they can make whatever sells or is requested by a customer.
Ultra-High it almost always associated with the worst in ml junk ever to be on the market.
The Miroku Brown Bess may have been OK. But, personally, I would never own a symbol of American history that has "Made in Japan" stamped on it.

Rifleman1776 said:
Ultra-High it almost always associated with the worst in ml junk ever to be on the market.
The Miroku Brown Bess may have been OK. But, personally, I would never own a symbol of American history that has "Made in Japan" stamped on it.

I know what you mean, buy it's no worse than "made in Italy".
If all one wants is a flint smoothbore there are plenty of U.S. sources. If, however,one wants a military arm the pickings are a lot slimmer. Unless you go a very pricey custom route there are going to be unsightly stampings on the barrel.
When I got a fusil from North Star West, one of the main reasons was Not having all the barrel stampings that come with most mass-produced guns. Buying an American made product that shoots well didn't hurt either.

There is no comparison between the Miroku Brown Bess and the Ultra High muskets in terms of quality. I had a Jap Bess for several years and it never once misfired and lead a pretty rough life (it was 20 years old when I got it.) I can't say the same for either Pedersoli Bess that I owned. I'd be afraid to shoot even a blank load in one of those ultra high guns. As was mentioned earlier I wouldn't even put it on my wall.

I lucked out on one, although it doesn't say Ultra-high on it. It is made by Miroku for Dixie Gun Works back in the 60's as a kit. Mine has a one piece barrel and it is a good shooter, although not much to look at. I wouldn't buy one if I couldn't have a chance to put a tight patch down the bore to check for a seam where the barrel goes to round and even if it has a one piece barrel I wouldn't give more than $100 for it.

My already well used Miroku "Jap" Bess lasted all of the years of the 225th Rev. War reenactments and then many on top of that, finaly giving up the ghost to a worn sear replaced with a Pedersoli one by a gunsmith who stole my rare Jap one but didn't charge me for the repair or forgetting to clean my dirty Bess for three months! They are great guns.

The other Miroku is, of course, this 16th-17th C. matchlock. Also a nice little arm. I have never found any Miroku prodcuts to be below average at worst, and I compete with a matched pair of their Trap shotguns (and a Browning BT-99 they make) too...

Randy Johnson said:
Rifleman1776 said:

I know what you mean, buy it's no worse than "made in Italy".
If all one wants is a flint smoothbore there are plenty of U.S. sources. If, however,one wants a military arm the pickings are a lot slimmer. Unless you go a very pricey custom route there are going to be unsightly stampings on the barrel.
When I got a fusil from North Star West, one of the main reasons was Not having all the barrel stampings that come with most mass-produced guns. Buying an American made product that shoots well didn't hurt either.

At the time I bought my Navy Arms BB kit, I did not know where it was manufactured. I probably assumed it was American made. There are no markings on it indicating where it was manufactured. That was in the 1970s.

Mirokou is a fine maker, they make guns to the specs given them.
Ultra-Hicrappy specs :barf: , don't waste your money on that. Buy a quality piece and you will never regret it, because next year they will cost more!
Nit Wit

Back