• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Ultimate pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

himem777

40 Cal.
Reaction score
If you could make the ultimate hand gun for hunting elk what would it look like/speck out as? It dose not have to be one that was built, but it has to look like it could have been made 1800 craftsmen. I would like to build such a gun now that I am done with my .62 smoothie (long Gun).

I honestly hadn't even thought about hunting elk w/a handgun. I'd think it'd have to be kind of big, a .58 or so, and a little long barreled (15" or so)? I've never hunted elk, can you stalk up on then much?

Matchlock 72, Dixie Gun Works lists the 20X20 Howdah (in kit form too if you want to assemble your own) but it is percussion only. If your smoothy is a flinter, compatability would be personal choice. bdhutier, I've never hunted elk either but assumed the sidearm would be adequate for a finishing shot.

Matchlock72 said:
If you could make the ultimate hand gun for hunting elk what would it look like/speck out as? It dose not have to be one that was built, but it has to look like it could have been made 1800 craftsmen. I would like to build such a gun now that I am done with my .62 smoothie (long Gun).

Something like this.
PICT0369.jpg

Match72, you might also find what you're looking for at the bottom of this page... http://www.fire-iron.biz/
IIRC, from another forum, the builder describes taking a cow elk with this flintlock pistol. Any ethical shot on non-small game with a BP handgun will have to be at close range IMHO.

Lets just say that I feel the whole idea of hunting an elk with a muzzleloading pistol isn't something I would consider.

Historically, the muzzleloading pistols use has been for short range shooting, usually almost point blank range and for good reason.

A longer barrel might give better numbers but Lyman's test of a .54 caliber, 8" long barreled pistol gave a muzzle velocity of 1044 fps.
This would fall to 943 fps with 466 ft/lbs of energy at 35 yards range which I consider to be to little for a clean kill on an elk sized animal.

The pistol shown is about what I am looking for. I Want to try for a medium range of 50 yards. I am still new at this and have never hunted with less than a 30-06. I here the old timers her talking about using .44cb on elk, but they did not mind chasing the elk. There were also a lot more elk in the time. `

If the .44cb is "OK" (barely), I just think with a single shot larger caliber I could do better.

I know there are some that will read this and say "NO WAY....You MUST have a howitzer", please do not be offended by my minimalism attitude.

Ok I went to the Fire-Irons site and am now in heavy like with the Traditional Big Game Hunter Pistol. She aint a pritty as my wife, but dang.

Matchlock72 said:
The pistol shown is about what I am looking for. I Want to try for a medium range of 50 yards. I am still new at this and have never hunted with less than a 30-06. I here the old timers her talking about using .44cb on elk, but they did not mind chasing the elk. There were also a lot more elk in the time. `

If the .44cb is "OK" (barely), I just think with a single shot larger caliber I could do better.

I know there are some that will read this and say "NO WAY....You MUST have a howitzer", please do not be offended by my minimalism attitude.

I don't know if 'offended' is the word, but just because the old timers didn't mind 'chasing the elk' - and apparently neither do you - it doesn't mean it is ethical to subject an elk to a slower death because you want to see what a pistol can do at 50 yards.

Matchlock72 said:

This is really a bad idea. Why not stick to small deer at less than 50yds.

Matchlock72 said:

Considering the muzzle energy required to kill an elk, how do you get the hammer out of your spine after you pull the trigger?

Just wondering?

Richard Eames said:
Matchlock72 said:

Considering the muzzle energy required to kill an elk, how do you get the hammer out of your spine after you pull the trigger?

Just wondering?
It's not so bad, once you get past the teeth! :rotf:

Used to be a guy that bored out Ruger Old Armies to .50 cal. I think he went under after POing a lot of folks. I don't know about hunting elk with such a pistol but deer at close range seemed doable with that piece.

Don

Like Zonie said, unless forced into it, I'd not usew a handgun for Elk either...That being said,

I wouldn't mind a .54 cal revolover..same everthing as the 1860 Colt Navy, but in .54 cal.

I just like the .54 round, besides, I have two .54 Renegades...would only need one size ammo...

God Bless

Lee

Latest posts

Back