• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

UK Game Season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Tom, I have regularly shot Peasants with My flint guns and a W.Powell Pin fire lift lever & Adams C/F under lever unmentionable for over 1/2 a century using Black powder as have others you and I know from the MLAGB.. As far as I know there is NO restriction on the use of Smooth bore B/P Guns to shoot Game other than B/P Rifles for DEER or any thing else apart from Targets in U.K which is another of Our Rediculous Game restrictions. Thousands of Deer were shot and killed with .45" M/L and early B/P rifles before Nitro ever existed. :dunno: OLD DOG

Please read my words again, Sir. I noted that smoothbores can be used on small game and birds. But using a BP muzzleloading RIFLE for ANYTHING is a no-no.

Here we go, the Brits shooting peasants again 😄
I left the formal pheasant shooting scene here about a decade ago now. Now I just pot hunt birds on my patch pretty much exclusively with a muzzleloader.
That said I find snipe and woodcock far more interesting. And ofcourse sneaking up on a rabbit is excellent sport. Good sport can be had hunting fox in winter. If you do your homework an early morning calling session in cold weather can bring them into range.

I was kidding. The misspelled “peasants” + British monarchy = humor opportunity
Yes yes yes I know you guys shoot a lot of pheasants. I’m envious. We used to have a lot here. They are gone now.

Why aren't you allowed to hunt deer with a muzzle loader or archery gear?
Because some burk' Dear stalker ' type reckoned they hadnt the desired/ needed muzzle velocity foot pound & such like bumph & of course the Govt & antis happily went along with that .If you not a member of the Deerstalker Assn , Proper attire gilly lead flash accomodation ect your deemed rabble or a cowboy . Pure snobbery .That about sums it up.
Regards Rudyard

Because some burk' Dear stalker ' type reckoned they hadnt the desired/ needed muzzle velocity foot pound & such like bumph & of course the Govt & antis happily went along with that .If you not a member of the Deerstalker Assn , Proper attire gilly lead flash accomodation ect your deemed rabble or a cowboy . Pure snobbery .That about sums it up.
Regards Rudyard
Basically correct. That and a centralised government structure that relies on so called experts that not only commit fornication with government but also proffess to be all knowing on a subject and then get frightened and attempt to avoid litigation by being seen to remove all risk of blame possibly cast upon themselves!

The UK don't have a monopoly on "experts" making hunting rules.

For decades it was legal in Colorado to hunt elk with .50 caliber rifles using patched round balls. Then some panjandrum (British word) discovered that round balls used in .50 caliber muzzleloaders are really .490 or .495 in diameter. They outlawed the use of .50 caliber rifles using patched round balls on elk.

Out on crows and pigeons the last 3 days for a few hours each day . Well there was plenty of both and although it was sunny there was a strong north westly blowing. I was expecting good days but it was not to be both crows and pigeons were jumpy and kept shy to the decoys I have found these type of days do not fill the bag . This time of the year there are plenty of stubbles and they soon move to where they are not bothered ,each day I set up in a different place on the many farms that I have permission but it was the same result . On the last day the hedge behind me had many black thorn bushes which were covered with sloe berries ,this year has been good for berry bushes although folk law claim it may be a omen of a bad winter. After consuming the contents of my lunch box I filled it with sloe berries which kept me busy that night preparing to make sloe gin ready for Xmas . Well the 3 days shooting pest was very poor with little returns but I did return not empty handed with hope of some good sloe gin this Xmas:thumb:
Feltwad

Out on crows and pigeons the last 3 days for a few hours each day . Well there was plenty of both and although it was sunny there was a strong north westly blowing. I was expecting good days but it was not to be both crows and pigeons were jumpy and kept shy to the decoys I have found these type of days do not fill the bag . This time of the year there are plenty of stubbles and they soon move to where they are not bothered ,each day I set up in a different place on the many farms that I have permission but it was the same result . On the last day the hedge behind me had many black thorn bushes which were covered with sloe berries ,this year has been good for berry bushes although folk law claim it may be a omen of a bad winter. After consuming the contents of my lunch box I filled it with sloe berries which kept me busy that night preparing to make sloe gin ready for Xmas . Well the 3 days shooting pest was very poor with little returns but I did return not empty handed with hope of some good sloe gin this Xmas:thumb:
Feltwad
Slow Gin :dunno: ?? That must be opposite to my FAST 45% Damson GIN :doh:.. Feltwad,Cheers for Xmas..OLD DOG..

Back