• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Uh oh. Need shoulder replacement...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my shoulder surgeon let his patients borrow a shoulder harness that attached to an ice water reservoir pump. using this device negated the need for pain meds. ask if they have that device to use.

My surgeon after surgery required it for the surgery recovery. [insurance and Medicare paid for it] It worked better than the drugs for me.

It cuts the pain but the surgery is what made me able to lift my arm again.

By the way some say shoulder surgery is the worst pain that can happen. I say try open heart surgery for a triple by-pass. The shoulder was nothing.

I messed up both shoulders playing ice hockey. Little cartridge left in either and have injured the rotator cuff in the right one (I’m right handed), but with PT I have avoided surgery to date, and consider myself lucky. Have had a few ‘attacks’ over the years, brought on by my own stupidly. Two years ago would have missed archery season except for using a crossbow (have totally given up the longbow, when I am able, use a compound bow) but made an interesting discovery. A crossbow takes a long time for the bolt to leave the rail after pulling the trigger. Way longer than the slowest flintlock lock time I have fired. Great practice, at least for me, for holding form while shooting flintlocks. Just have to be able cock the crossbow, but for me, most of the load was on my legs and not the shoulder. Oh, and the surgeon thought it could be up to two years recovery, if ever, before I could shoot a bow post surgery. He ultimately didn’t recommend it at the time if I didn’t mind some pain.

I did have ACL and microfracture surgery a number of years ago on a knee (ice hockey again) and would suggest you make sure your surgeon and physical therapist have worked successfully together before. Talk to both and understand what the rehab protocol will be before going under the knife. Talk to others who are going to through the process. They will be at the doctor’s and physical therapist’s offices and easy to spot. Look for folks wearing a sling. Also, discuss with your doctor what activities you hope to participate in post surgery.

Good luck.

Doc says there is no cartilage left in my right shoulder socket, bone on bone scraping. Ouch. Options are to live with the (increasing) pain or shoulder replacement. I am concerned that this will SEVERELY impact my flintlock long gun shooting.I know some of you guys have had to face this dilemma. Were you able to recover and shoot your favorite smokepoles? Did you have to restrict things to .32-.36 calibers? How long was recovery. Thanks.
Had two replacements. Right and left. After a year no problems. Continue doing your exercises for the rest of your life and you will believe you turned back the clock.

I've had surgery on both shoulders, recoil wasn't as big an issue as holding the gun up was. Muzzleloaders don't kick like cartridge guns. I did have to load down my shotgun loads for a while. 6 month to a year, if all goes well. The time goes by fast. Take your rehab seriously and don't push getting back into the saddle too soon..
Casting and reloading were good therapy.

Your shooting days aren't over yet, but arm wrestling probably is.

Last edited:
Doc says there is no cartilage left in my right shoulder socket, bone on bone scraping. Ouch. Options are to live with the (increasing) pain or shoulder replacement. I am concerned that this will SEVERELY impact my flintlock long gun shooting.I know some of you guys have had to face this dilemma. Were you able to recover and shoot your favorite smokepoles? Did you have to restrict things to .32-.36 calibers? How long was recovery. Thanks.

Mine was so bad i couldnt get my wallet out of my pocket. After the rebuild, recovery was very slow. After a year and a half I could shoot most of my rifles, including a 62 smoothie. I still can‘t shoot my Pedrosoli 10 ga double.
Too much of a good thing, love the thing but probably should sell it.
Hang in there, before my shoulder job i really couldnt comfortabley shoot any rifle/shotgun, now i can make about as much smoke as i want, and i can get my wallet out of my pocket......

Back