• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Ug; idiot rookie mistake, bullet stuck in barrel.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be what looks like the third guy to suggest blowing it out from the nipple if you have access to air and a blow gun with a rubber nozzle cone. It's the quickest and cleanest method I know of.
I remove the nipple. The cone of the blow gun makes an air tight seal with the bolster. My regulator is usually set at 90 psi and that will blow a .54 caliber round ball through both sides of a thick cardboard box with quite a respectable report. I've never used any lubricant, but if you want a sure deal with what sounds to be a tight load, pour some lube down on top of the projectile prior to pressurizing the barrel. This will ensure once you get it moving, it stays moving.

Point the muzzle in a safe direction. Every time I have to do this it reminds me that I need to build an air cannon.
Good luck

I got it out; but man was it an ordeal. I bought a range rod and POUNDED the bullet down the bore- it did not want to move. I then fired the bullet into a homemade trap. The bullet came out in pieces.

Lesson learned- thanks for the tips. Can't wait to shoot this rifle again.

Don't feel bad I'm a nubie here with muzzle loaders too. Just this past Friday was shooting my 1864 Springfield and of course.... instead of paying attention I was flapping my gums to friends. After my first 3 nice grouping shots, I loaded a 4th round. The minie ball installed, then the cap..... and then heard that terrible small cap pop! I looked down and there was the powder loader sitting right there. Ugh! Thought I was done for the day and break out the air compressor at home to blow it out.

So first up I did what I've read on this site, ( thanks all!!) I removed the nipple tucked in some powder with a pick, New cap and it was a bit louder of a pop. Hmmm used the rod to measure and saw the minie ball was half way out. Did the procedure again, and out came the minie ball!! Then did a few swipes cleaning out the barrel and back to shooting again. Live and learn and love it!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 12.09.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 12.09.26 PM.png
    956.3 KB · Views: 47
I got it out; but man was it an ordeal. I bought a range rod and POUNDED the bullet down the bore- it did not want to move. I then fired the bullet into a homemade trap. The bullet came out in pieces.

The bullet was in pieces, if the trap didn't break it that's interesting. I have seen my Linotype bullets break or shatter on impact but never lead.

Did it clean up ok?

I loaded without the nipple and when packing the ball it went past my mark on range rod. Had not read that much about dryballing and used a ball puller to remove ball. After reading about parts coming apart in barrel I see how I might have been lucky. Didn't know about adding powder.

I loaded without the nipple and when packing the ball it went past my mark on range rod. Had not read that much about dryballing and used a ball puller to remove ball. After reading about parts coming apart in barrel I see how I might have been lucky. Didn't know about adding powder.
We all learn something here :thumb:

RicM, I hope you seated the Minie back down on the powder on the second go around. I would have added more powder, re install nipple and then be sure the projectile was seated on the powder, NOT left part way up the bore. It becomes an obstruction and with a full charge could bulge the barrel.

RicM, I hope you seated the Minie back down on the powder on the second go around. I would have added more powder, re install nipple and then be sure the projectile was seated on the powder, NOT left part way up the bore. It becomes an obstruction and with a full charge could bulge the barrel.

Thanks hopefully I won’t make the same
mistake again. No I didn’t reseat the minieball on the second go round. I didn’t put much powder in after I removed the nipple on both attempts. Didn’ t realize what you had mentioned, the bullet just plopped out maybe a foot or two pst the muzzle so it wasn’t of much powder load. I did clean her up afterwards and inspect her as always and the bore and barrel looked perfect, I guess I escaped (lucked out) a real screw up!! Thanks for that future advice!! Will always remember it.

Latest posts

Back