• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Uberti Western Arms Tucker, Sherrard, And Company Revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sourdough

40 Cal
Reaction score
I found this on GB just as the the auction closed, otherwise I would have snatched it up.

Tucker, Sherrard, & Company .44 revolver (AD/1978) manufactured by Aldo Uberti & Co. and marketed by Western Arms Corp., Santa Fe NM (which I believe to be the precursor to Cimarron Firearms). It sold for $425 11/25/20, which I believe to be a very equitable sum.

It is a somewhat fanciful rendition of a T. S. C. revolver, but it is somewhat rare as Uberti only made them on consignment for Western Arms.

According to one source, around 400 to 1000 (a very large deviation) Tucker, Sherrard, & Company cased sets only were made for Western Arms by Uberti, so this one may have been liberated from its case, or there may have been some produced singly for sale as the original box (for the revolver only) was part of the sale. I have more research to do concerning these guns.

This revolver is somewhat accurate, historically, to the T. S. C. originals as there were a few variations. The original revolvers were of Colt Dragoon size but the cylinder of the T. S. C. is nearly 1/4" shorter (which begs the question: was the frame shorter or was the forcing cone longer compared to the Colt Dragoon?), and the cylinder stop slots vary from round to rectangular. I believe (just my opinion) that Uberti used their Second Model Dragoon (rectangular stop slots, squareback trigger guard) as the basis for this revolver. However, the cylinder is a copy of the Clark, Sherrard, & Company revolver, which came later after Tucker left the company, and that revolver was made to the same basic specifications as the Colt Second Model Dragoon without the short cylinder.

The roll-marked cylinders are fairly true to the original Clark, Sherrard, & Company revolver with the markings.

This is the top of barrel marking on an original.

I only wish Uberti/Western Arms had gone a step further and created the "low hammer spur" variation. This is the only revolver ever in the ACW to have such an innovation, and a good one at that.

The strange part of the Tucker, Sherrard, & Company (along with its future names/incarnations) saga is that most of them were assembled after the ACW, due to contractual/political disputes between the Texas government, the CSA, and the manufacturer(s) during the War, and were sold on the civilian market. That is a whole 'nother story.

As I stated in another thread (concerning the defarbed/modified Dance revolver) I have a friend in Germany who is part of a private consortium of 4 people wanting a T. S. & C. revolver, created using 4 Armi San Marco 2nd Model Dragoons, but two of them want the C. S. & C. version. They are now looking for the exact rollmark cylinder pattern. I wish them luck with that. They are even going to try to create a few "low spur" hammers! These guys are serious about their hobby. He has been looking for more info pertaining to photos, etc., in addition to what he has found on the Internet, so I scanned the first 16 pages of a chapter of book I have (below) pertaining to this and sent him .jpg files of them. I can post them on this thread if anyone is interested, but I would need zonie's approval first. They are copyrighted material, but the copyright laws do not forbid copying such material if it is used for informational/educational purposes if there is no financial gain in reproducing them.

Reference: Confederate Revolvers William A. Gary (1987).

Regards,

Jim

Dang it! I've been looking for one of those, and I missed it! It must not have been up for sale very long. I check there pretty often. Not often enough, evidently.

There is just a little more about the reproductions of the TS&C revolvers on the GRRW Collectors Association website, on the "Western Arms" page: Uberti Santa Fe Hawken

Also, Chris Hisch's book, "The Texas Gun Trade, 1780-1899" has a brief but good write-up about the originals, with photographs, and there are photographs of a few originals on his Texas Revolvers web page.

Good post, Jim! Thanks!

Notchy Bob

There is just a little more about the reproductions of the TS&C revolvers on the GRRW Collectors Association website, on the "Western Arms" page: Uberti Santa Fe Hawken

Bob,

Thanks so much for the link!

This Western Arms Corporation ad from 1978 clears up some mis-information I had. There were only 400 cased sets made, each including a powder flask, @ $395 per set, and individual revolvers (the number of them made not specified) @ $295 each.

A specially engraved cased set was created for the Governor Of Texas. I would like to have a photo of that one!

Regards,

Jim

Santa-Fe-Hawken a.jpg

I found a couple of additional items on the web that may be of interest to readers of this thread.

Gunsmith Steve Krolick from up in Muskego, Wisconsin has made Tucker, Sherrard & Co. replicas out of Uberti Dragoon revolvers. I think he probably starts with a Second Model Dragoon, which has the square-back triggerguard and rectangular bolt stops with tapered leeds. He welds up the relief cut at the base of the barrel frame, converts the vertical lever latch to horizontal, makes a Confederate "springless" wedge key, fits washers so the grip frame screw heads protrude a little, then defarbs and refinished the whole thing. I believe he must remove the "Dragoon" rollmark from the cylinder. The result looks like this:

Tucker Sherrard & Co. 1.0.jpg

He also makes a "low hammer spur" variant:

Tucker Sherrard & Co. Low Spur.jpg

There are more excellent photos and nice write-ups on the Lodgewood Mfg. website. Check out the Tucker & Sherrard Dragoon Revolver and the "Low Hammer Spur" Tucker & Sherrard.

Additional recommended reading is Texas Pistol Makers of the Confederacy by William A. Gary (American Society of Arms Collectors Bulletin 55:29-39).

Thanks, sourdough, for starting this interesting thread. And if you find another one of those Western Arms TS&Co Dragoons for sale at anywhere near the price mentioned in your original post, I hope you'll let me know!

Notchy Bob

Bob,

I posted this thread (like I have done with other subjects on various forums on various subjects) to stir up interest. Sometimes it works well like this thread.

Thanks for the links as I will check them out, and add them to another thread on another forum concerning the subject.

I very much appreciate your input and info. Sometimes things just come out of the woodwork like your replies. I am going to steal your post and and copy it to post on another forum, on a thread very much related to this. An online acquaintance in Germany has put together a group of like-minded folks there and are acquiring four Armi San Marco 2nd Model Dragoons (which seem to be fairly available there and less expensive than Uberti revolvers) to create four low hammer spur revolvers. He has put out an offer to have manufactured low spur hammers via his gunsmith in Austria, and will have him create additional low spur hammers if you have an ASM hammer to send him. They are shooting for a project begin date before Christmas.

I am a mod on this forum, and I urge you to become a member so as to contribute your knowledge and become part of the discussion, which I am sure will be much appreciated..

Uberti Western Arms Tucker, Sherrard, & Company (blackpowdersmoke.com)

If I find one of those revolvers, I am gonna latch onto it first! I missed the previous one, and the next one won't get away! :)

Regards,

Jim

Forum rule # 28: Do not post links to sites that contain Muzzleloading Forums.

Technically, the forum you provided the link to is a Cap & Ball pistol forum but I consider it to be in poor taste to link competing forums here, which are not owned by the owner of the Muzzleloading Forum.

Back