• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Uberti or Pietta 1861 Navy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amongst the (many) regrets I have is not buying a 2nd gen Colt back when they were for sale. I had plenty of opportunities and just wouldn’t or couldn’t cough up the extra dollars. If I just had a 2nd gen 1851….
There’s one up on the classifieds right now… just saying… I do like spending other peoples money ;-)

There’s one up on the classifieds right now… just saying… I do like spending other peoples money ;-)
Yep, saw that one with the gold inlay. And with all the extras the price wasn’t terribly bad at all. But my Wife takes my eccentricities fairly well, I don’t want to find out what that limit is just now.

Pietta uses a machined flat 1860 frame for the Dance Brothers revolver and the barrel is the same as the .44 Navy.

Uberti stopped using plain cylinders in the Leech and Rigdon

They're both slipping on the Confederate repros but basically, you can get a gem or a lemon from either manufacturer.

Attachments

• 20221012_193818.jpg
    20221012_193818.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221012_193829.jpg
    20221012_193829.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
The only hard facts I have with this , are that the metal polishing is definitely better on my Cimarron Walker vs the 2 I got from Sportsman's Guide. Mechanically and internally they appear the same, my "regular " Ubertis are perfectly timed and slick too and my Uberti 1851 Navy has been trouble free for almost 15 years and 1000s of rounds.

So at least it used to be, that Uberti made the guns cosmetically better

Cimarron used to offer the Premium finishes like the Charcoal Blue and "Old West" finish but apparently the Old West finish wasn't popular and they stopped offering it.
Like I said, it was true in the `80's and maybe part of the `90's but not since. Any differences observed are going to boil down to variations between individual guns or batches of guns. It's worth pointing out that the only two I've ever had a problem with were Cimarrons.

Cimarron still offers the "original finish" and other importers offer it as the "old west" finish. I have three such guns. Same for the charcoal blue, which is actually nitre blue. One thing Cimarron offers that some others don't, are options to special order engraved guns, "US finish" guns and custom grips. That is all done after the fact by stateside subcontractors, not by Uberti. The basic guns are all the same.

I just wish a company like USFA would start up , and make a high quality, American made Colt percussion clone with 100% proper fitting.

Sure they'd cost $1500- 2000 but they would sell.
I would certainly get in line for a few. Or especially a USFA-level unmentionable conversion.

I have 3 cylinders for my pietta Bison and now want to pick up a standard 1858 pietta which will then give me 4 cylinders :) more firepower than a glock ;) wait... don't i have one of those plastic things somewheres....

The fit, finish and timing on my Pietta seems excellent.

Very nice revolver, Uberti is the only maker I will buy anymore, not to bash Pietta but all I will say, is I HAD about 8 Piettas at one point or another, now I have 0 and still have my 4 Ubertis.

I have 3 cylinders for my pietta Bison and now want to pick up a standard 1858 pietta which will then give me 4 cylinders :) more firepower than a glock ;) wait... don't i have one of those plastic things somewheres....

The fit, finish and timing on my Pietta seems excellent.
There's a guy on YouTube who has an 1858 and a belt rig with about 30 cylinders on it. Unless they pulled the video because it's him talking about being a Felon for a BB gun incident.....

I'd hope he has some baby wipes for cleaning the pin off every 3 cylinders

That said , Midway has $247 steel frame Pietta 51 Navies right now

Taylor's claims to have plain cylinders in stock.....

Might be time for me to make an Augusta Machine Works clone....

There's a guy on YouTube who has an 1858 and a belt rig with about 30 cylinders on it. Unless they pulled the video because it's him talking about being a Felon for a BB gun incident.....

I'd hope he has some baby wipes for cleaning the pin off every 3 cylinders
Good Lord! And I thought a loaded cartridge belt was heavy.

Just a heads up, pulling the pin after each cyl doesn't allow fouling to accumulate. But hey - you're looking out for the guy !!! ( there is a mod that would allow you to load 30 cyls "on the gun" with no binding!!)

Mike

The only hard facts I have with this , are that the metal polishing is definitely better on my Cimarron Walker vs the 2 I got from Sportsman's Guide. Mechanically and internally they appear the same, my "regular " Ubertis are perfectly timed and slick too and my Uberti 1851 Navy has been trouble free for almost 15 years and 1000s of rounds.

So at least it used to be, that Uberti made the guns cosmetically better

Cimarron used to offer the Premium finishes like the Charcoal Blue and "Old West" finish but apparently the Old West finish wasn't popular and they stopped offering it.
I just saw an article in Backwoodsman, I think, or an ad for a Pietta '73 Army with overall antique finish. Pietta has some lazer engraved percussion pistols, seem to be offering many new items; good for them!

I just saw an article in Backwoodsman, I think, or an ad for a Pietta '73 Army with overall antique finish. Pietta has some lazer engraved percussion pistols, seem to be offering many new items; good for them!
Apparently they make good cartridge guns too, like those 1873's.

I honestly had some bad experiences with their older stuff and just wrote them off as junk, but I'm giving their new stuff another shot . I have 3 brand new Piettas and 3 from the mid 2010s, the brand new ones are definitely better. They stepped up their "post Pandemic " game I guess

They're getting wild with the Fantasy guns like all these snubbies, engraved brassers , pepperbox 1851s but it's cool, I like variety.

Buy the Uberti 1861.

Uberti’s 1861 Navy has the correct barrel length. Also, at this moment in time on Midway USA the Uberti 1861 is cheaper than the Pietta 1861 Navy; $304.99 versus $339.99.

I personally don’t care about Pietta’s penchant for putting roll marks on the barrels. I’m not a reencator or trying to pretend I have an original. However, the barrel length discrepancy on the Pietta 1861 Navy is a deal breaker for me. Based on this, I’d buy the Uberti 1861 even if it was more expensive.

I own Piettas and Ubertis. Both companies have issues, produce lemons etc. plus, if you shoot them enough, you’ll end up fixing something eventually. The good news is these cap and ball revolvers are fairly easy to work on.

Latest posts

Back