• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Uberti or Pietta 1858 Remington .44 With 5 1/2” Barrel.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoothshooter

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Do any of you guys have the reproduction of the Remington with the 5 1/2” barrel? If so, how do you like it?
Am thinking about trying to find one. Pretty tough right now.

I have a pietta in 36,I Iike it a lot. I found mine used a few years ago in a local gun shop.

I have a 5.5 inch Uberti that I've owned around 15 years. It has the lightest trigger I have ever owned or used.

With loads it likes, it will print some fine groups.

I have a Pietta sheriff's model with the shorter barrel. It is handy and fun to shoot. I can't tell a difference in range accuracy between it and my longer barreled Remington.

I have the 8" barreled Pietta version and I like it a lot. I had a Euroarms version many years ago and liked it as well, but the Pietta version has smoother machining on the base pin. The grips on the Euroarms version were smoother and a bit better shaped though.

If you want the better of the two, you should go with the Uberti. Piettas often have a little defect, like grip shaping and fitment, but you can live with it.

The 8" version is muzzle heavy, as all of the original 8" and 7 1/2" barreled BP revolvers were.

I have been looking at the 5 1/2" barrel version of the Remington myself.
It's very appealing and I'm sure that it is better balanced and that it makes a fine holster revolver.

Unlike the shortened Colt versions, the Remington has ample loading lever length to seat round balls.

Have both Sheriff and Belt in 44 and 36. Nice handling and balance.

I have a Pietta 1858. I have two bp cylinders as well as an RD conversion cylinder. With the 45 Colt RD cylinder, I can print one ragged hole at POA at about 10 yards. This gun is one of the finest revolvers (modern or replica) that I own.

Trooper Joe

I have both the 8" (several) and one 5.5" Pietta 1858's. I have never gotten the shorter version to shoot with a hoot. "Groups" are 12"-15" at 25 yards from a bench, despite whatever bullet/ball or powder combo I use. Maybe I got a bad one, as I see very positive comments from others. Velocity loss is significant compared to the 8" version, around 200fps with equal loads, if that is of any importance to you.

Do any of you guys have the reproduction of the Remington with the 5 1/2” barrel? If so, how do you like it?
Am thinking about trying to find one. Pretty tough right now.

Two years ago I purchased a Pietta 58 51/2" barrel.. For the majority of my life I everyday carried a 71/2". barrel on the farm.. I really like the lighter barrel, it is easier to handle, better balanced and just as accurate as the longer one once dialed in. Out of the box the pistol was tore apart and checked for burs smoothness of operation. All moving parts were polished and point of aim was established. Just don't see any difference, in accuracy or distance normally shoot. That shorter barrel (sheriffs model) doesn't get in the way of daily operations like the longer barrel does. 2cents

I have both the 8" (several) and one 5.5" Pietta 1858's. I have never gotten the shorter version to shoot with a hoot. "Groups" are 12"-15" at 25 yards from a bench, despite whatever bullet/ball or powder combo I use. Maybe I got a bad one, as I see very positive comments from others. Velocity loss is significant compared to the 8" version, around 200fps with equal loads, if that is of any importance to you.

Never saw it on a Pietta, but not saying it couldn't happen, but came across a barrel 4 years ago on a uberti that wasn't square at the muzzle. Found it happened a lot back in the early days of replicas.

Back in 2013 (and still as far as I know) the Uberti just seems to have less issues vs the Pietta when the Remington is spoken of (the opposite if it’s a Colt), and that’s what I wanted for Christmas. But the deal on a Pitta with a free starter kit ended up coming my way.

My Pietta Sheriff’s model needed a little of this and a little of that done to it. For one, and it’s not to say an Uberti doesn’t also need attention here, the hand and bolt needed the edges smoothed. Pietta definitely has grossly undersized chambers (reamed it to .449” and chamfered), a thick hammer that doesn’t for properly in the safety notches (filed it down to fit), has a loading window only meant for a ball (modified that), had grips that weren’t snug (fixed that along with the nasty stain color) and also are larger than originals (I have small hands so sanded that down too), and has press fit sights and lever latch (newer molds may be dovetailed now), which have occasionally dropped their part, but clearly has no windage (mine shoots a bit left at 15 yds) if it’s press fit.

All that said my NMA has the faster twist and is just about 1/2” off of what my ROA with a 7.5” barrel does. It’s a very good gun and I like to tinker so ultimately I think I did well, though I’m contemplating opening up those chambers a little more. I certainly wouldn’t sell/trade it. But Ubertis seem to need a little less work in a Remington model from what I’ve read. Take that with a grain of salt as some of what I read was old and prior to Pietta’s reworkings. Mostly people feel their fairly close. Maybe you can’t go wrong here.

Both Uberti and Pietta make great revolvers today. Older ones can be brought
to high levels of function with a little work. These are legacy guns. Pedersoli makes
a shooter's competition model that is awesome. Hold onto them. The day will come
when these revolvers will be hard to come by.

I've handled and shot 1860, 1851, and Rem. NMA so called Sheriff's models before. The Colt styles where ok(favored the 1851s). The Remington "Sheriff" model seems like an odd duck compared to the full size "Army" model. To me (just my opinion) it felt unbalanced, and the full size shot better on paper. Just my 2 ¢

Back