• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Uberti Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, I have a question about my newly acquired Uberti Hawken sold by Western Arms in the 70's. It is serial # 5436 and has a strange mount for a peep sight which is missing. The base is there for a drop in sight of some type on the tang. The hole you can see in the base measures about 1/4" square for the stalk of the peep sight. Does anyone know here I can get the sight; or, does anyone know the name of this type of peep sight?

Lastly, with this serial # - is this one of the .530 caliber models that was incorrectly marked .54 caliber. The barrel is marked on the left side "A. Uberti & C. Gardone, V.T. Italy" and shows .54 caliber above the lock with the serial #. ps. It is marked on the top of the barrel with Garantie Humbert, St. Etienne" I know the tumbler screw is missing. I have that on order. Thanks!

Attachments

• Hawken1.jpg
    Hawken1.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Hawken 2.jpg
    Hawken 2.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Hawken 3.jpg
    Hawken 3.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I have SN#2673. It shoots a .526 ball really well. .530 is to tight to load in my gun. I believe all the Western Arms Santa Fa rifles are .53 cal. I have no idea what sight that is. I would try to replace with the original sights if possible.

They both really like 530 balls cast with a Lee mold along with some Hobby Lobby pillow ticking.

One is clearly marked:

Allen F.A. MFG. CO. - SANTA FE N.M.
A. UBERTI & C. GARDONE V. T. ITALY
7720 54 CAL

The other has no markings at all. I bought them both from my mentor. He said he and his son bought them the same day right at the factory here in New Mexico, which is where we live. He told me that they were going through some legal issues which is why one is unmarked. The people at the store sold him an unmarked, but complete example.

The man's son confirmed the story and I have no reason to believe it isn't a real one. It looks identical to the marked one I have.
20221112_110154.jpg
20221112_110355.jpg
20221112_110414.jpg
20221112_110453.jpg
20221112_110537.jpg

Inshane64, if I was to see the rifles side by side, I might guess the unmarked one was a Cherry Corners parts rifle. I'm not doubting the story. I also see suttle differences in the stock, and sights. I would also think if the barrel was in the store it would have the Italian marks on it regardless. The barrel would still have came from Italian I would think.
You might want to take the unmarked one apart to see if any of the parts are marked as Cherry Corners. I myself would put a greater value on it if it was. But that is just me any my 2cents. Both rifles are very nice in my book!

I have a Log Cabin version of this rifle that likes the 530 ball as well.

I will gladly look for that. The rear sight on the unmarked one is definitely not the factory sight. My mentor put a tang sight on it and took it off some time before I received it. The sight was from his parts bin. He have me a ton of stuff and I am hoping to find the original sight among the loot.

I had never heard of the cherry corners guns. I am by no means a expert and am very new to this (4 years in). It could very well be one. I do know that almost every dimension is the same. The cheek rest is the most noticeable difference to my amateur eye. Thank you for the info as I am always looking to learn.

They both really like 530 balls cast with a Lee mold along with some Hobby Lobby pillow ticking.

One is clearly marked:

Allen F.A. MFG. CO. - SANTA FE N.M.
A. UBERTI & C. GARDONE V. T. ITALY
7720 54 CAL

The other has no markings at all. I bought them both from my mentor. He said he and his son bought them the same day right at the factory here in New Mexico, which is where we live. He told me that they were going through some legal issues which is why one is unmarked. The people at the store sold him an unmarked, but complete example.

The man's son confirmed the story and I have no reason to believe it isn't a real one. It looks identical to the marked one I have.View attachment 174773View attachment 174774View attachment 174775View attachment 174776View attachment 174777

Back