• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

UBERTI DRAGOON "OLD WEST" FINISH

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Columbus:

Nothing really wrong with a 1st Model Dragoon but the later models did improve the loading lever latch and the cylinder stops design.

The latch went thru several different designs with the later ones doing a better job of keeping the loading lever latched and more importantly, easier to unlatch when the gun was about to be loaded.

The cylinder stops on the 1st Model were simple oval's typical of what would be made by a end mill in a milling machine. There was no form of "lead in" for the cylinder latch bolt to find which would improve the reliability. Simply put, the cylinder latch bolt could miss its engagement with the slots so the cylinder wouldn't lock up. These cylinder stops were carryovers from the Walker design.
The 2nd Model changed these to a rectangular design to improve the reliability.

Columbus:

The latch went thru several different designs with the later ones doing a better job of keeping the loading lever latched and more importantly, easier to unlatch when the gun was about to be loaded.
The latch on my 2nd Model is tough to release. There is not much to get a grip on and I've been temped to cut a nail nick in it.

Back