• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

UBERTI DRAGOON "OLD WEST" FINISH

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mossyoak1957

32 Cal
Reaction score
HI,
My my first post here from Pennsylvania.
I found this Uberti 2nd model Dragoon w/the old west finish and had to have it but the only info I could find is a old revolver testing article no date when it was printed.
I can't find any info on when Uberti made them I do see they still do make the cartridge revolvers w/the old west finish.
The end flap of the box has "2nd. model Dragoon "Old West" .44" with the correct matching ser. no. on the factory label matching the gun so I know this wasn't a home made job.

Has anyone on here ever seen one of these?

One other question:
Will the round trigger guard from a Uberti Dragoon 3rd. model fit on a Uberti 2nd. model Dragoon thinking about replacing the square trigger guard with a 3rd. model round trigger guard if it will fit,not sure yet if I will.
Thanks
enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

http://www.powderhombre.com/mbpproofmarks.pdf

There is a 2 letter code on the barrel, this chart will tell you when it was made.
It is found in Member Resources in Charts.
(Click on the link shown above.)

Uberti web site shows the finish available.

FinishesTechnicalParts and Schematics
000:
STANDARD
A00: OLD WEST ANTIQUE PATINA FINISH REV.
B02: COIN FINISH HARDENING
C00: CHARCOAL BLUE FINISH
E40: WALKER-DRAGOON DELUXE ENGRAV.
E43: WALKER-DRAGOON PRESTIGE ENGRAV.
E44: WALKER-DRAG.PREST.ENGR.WITH EAGLE
G08: HAND RUBBED OIL ON SELECTED WOOD
W00: WHITE FINISH FOR REV.

Why change the trigger guard?

Last edited:
Just received my 2nd model Dragoon today. Got a good feel to it. May have to rattle the neighborhood tomorrow.

My friend Joe has two of them and they are a blast to shoot but he uses Crisco and the cylinders froze up with rust. I played the devil to free them. That monster was the magnum of the day but I can't convince him to kill deer with them. Put some STP on the cylinder pins.

My friend Joe has two of them and they are a blast to shoot but he uses Crisco and the cylinders froze up with rust. I played the devil to free them. That monster was the magnum of the day but I can't convince him to kill deer with them. Put some STP on the cylinder pins.
Strip it down and put it in hot water. Take out and shoot the penetrating oil to it. Tap aroumd cylinder with mallet. Tap at back to drive cylinder off pin. Depending on how long it may have ruined the parts. Cost of base pin and cylinder plus the work to change base pin would warrant just getting new gun and part out old. Use lithium grease on pin.

Parts were OK but lithium grease sounds good too. Lube is important. Best penetrating oil is 50-50 transmission oil and acetone. Stuff is magic.

Many guns were blued but a friend would strip the blue off his revolvers. He had bare steel. Now I do not know what the old west finish was. Did it protect the metal?

I bought a 2nd Model Dragoon several years ago specifically because of the square backed trigger guard. Kinda reminded me of my Super Blackhawk. It does tends to drag my britches down but I have taken hunting several times. Had to lower the hammer notch quite a bit to get it on target but it's quite deadly now with conicals out to any reasonable range. Davis Tutt wouldn't stand a chance...
upload_2019-4-3_16-28-3.png

I suppose if you really wanted to put a rounded trigger guard on it, go for it. To each his own you know, but why? The square one gives it that "classic look".

Hello Tom A Hawk, In my opinion, The 2nd model Dragoon is the most beautiful Colt revolver ever made for men. I know others think the Navys and other children's revolvers are lovelier, but the Dragoons and especially the 2nd and 3rd models maintain a commanding presence in looks and field performance not to be equaled in merry go round sidearms. I don't mind packing an extra pound or two!

Last edited:
i have a 3rd model uberti colt dragoon. sorry guys i bought a 45 long colt cylinder for it. it is very very accurate. had to deepen the hammer notch to get it to shoot to point of aim. really like the gun. its percussion cylinder never has been fire, got a unfired 1862 uberti army percussion cylinder also.

Hello Tom A Hawk, In my opinion, The 2nd model Dragoon is the most beautiful Colt revolver ever made for men. I know others think the Navys and other children's revolvers are lovelier, but the Dragoons and especially the 2nd and 3rd models maintain a commanding presence in looks and field performance not to be equaled in merry go round sidearms. I don't mind packing an extra pound or two!

Yes Dragoons are best looking of all the colts

Some day! There will be a Dragoon calling my gunsafe home. I have to agree on the looks. They may not (opinions vary) be THE best but they are up there in the top 3 or 4 easily.

I have a Uberti pistol with the old west finish on it as well. They call it an unmentionable (45 Colt) on the forum. It came with nicely finished distressed grips as well. I's post a pic but they don't want that on this site. I didn't know that Uberti put the old west finish on any other gun, but I gotta say that is a very nice 2nd model Dragoon. Since I don't like blued finishes, I also removed all the blueing off of my Uberti 1860 Army so that it would match my other pistol.

treestalker If you want a cannon, get one with wheels on it ! take care

Last edited by a moderator:

What's wrong with a 1st Model Dragoon?

Back