• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Uberti Army Model '61 Navy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim C

45 Cal.
Reaction score
She's on her way to papa from DGW. :grin: The all steel Army version of the '61 Navy imo is the most beautiful revolver ever built. Been hankerin' fer one fer a long long time now. Couldn't stand it any longer and finally sprung for it last night. Also imo, Uberti makes the better, more authentic C&B pistols, although they say Pietta has cleaned up it's act and is now on par w/Uberti, a classic example of why they're not imo is that Pietta offers the '61 Navy with an eight inch barrel like the '60 army model instead of the PC/HC 7.5 inch bbl on the Uberti.

Dixie had the best price I could find. I bought one for my brothers retirement gift last fall, and my wife got me one for Christmas. They both shoot great, my brothers shot pretty much point of aim right out of the box, mine was shooting a tad right so I field the rear sight and it's point of aim now. My brothers seemed to do fine with #11 CCI caps, I replaced my nipples with the Slix Shot nipples which work great with the Remington #10 cap. All and all totally pleased with them. I have a cross draw holster on order from D&M Leather (Facebook)that should be here in the next few days, it was $75 +$6.95 S&H if your interested I will post a pic when mine arrives.

Good shootin!

Tom

USMA65 said:
Have you fired her yet?

Got slammed with work and haven't had a chance as of yet. Hopefully I'll have time to do so along with posting the results and some pics really soon.

mtmanjim said:
USMA65 said:
Have you fired her yet?

Got slammed with work and haven't had a chance as of yet. Hopefully I'll have time to do so along with posting the results and some pics really soon.
First off, Top of the evening to you and yours my friend! Haven't heard from you in a while and was hoping evrything was fine with you.

We are anxious to hear how she shoots and would love to see some pics of your new pistol!

Your friend, Cowboy :thumbsup:

Here she is. Pics are not too good, but neither is my photography. Still haven't gotten a chance to shoot it yet, but it's the next thing on my me time agenda.

My she's got nice curves! I'm in love! :rotf:
Hows the barrel cylinder alignment?
If you look down the bore with a goose neck auto lamp you can see how the mouth of each chamber lines up with the bore.

She's definitely sweet. Looks a whole lot better in person though. Fit finish and function is excellent. Nice crisp trigger pull. I'm really surprised at how smooth the bore and chambers are. Chamber mouths mike at .370-.371 so I'm assuming I'm good to go w/ a .375 ball. Will check chamber mouth/forcing cone alignment with the bore scope. The camera is a snug fit in the bore so it should work perfect for that.

I have a 62 I was working on again Saturday. Tightened up the barrel cylinder gap a bit more.
I've had to do a lot of work on this ole gal to get her back in shape.
Reamed the chamber mouths to except a .380 ball so they would all be the same.
It's an early Uberti made for Navy Arms and would not even cycle all the chambers when I got it.
It took a bit of ratchet file fitting to get her to cycle uniformly.

I have a '51 Navy brass frame by ASM made in 1967 that I bought for $50 and replaced all of the springs in it, turned out to be a decent shooter. Would love to have one each of Uberti's Colt's. Guess I should have gotten myself a better education/job beforehand though.

Sure nice looking! Hope she shoots as good as it looks. Only bad thing is,ya got me ta thinkin.

Around 1968, Dad brought home a Replica Arms 1861 Colt made by Uberti. I had already fired a .44 Army, and was initially disappointed at the "mere .36 cal". It was fired frequently & became my job to disassemble, clean and maintain. I went on to cast bullets & the RB's from a brass mold. I even wrapped the handles in leather to allow more handling before it became too hot.

It only took one trip to the range & I was hooked on .36 cal. When fired it has more of a crack sound, then the bigger & subsonic .44's. Of course, everyone eventually gets a .44 or 3 or 5 or ... but the .36 is more often the go to for a casual afternoon at the range, especially to show the 'ladies' how it was done in great grand-dad's day. My 'old' family legacy Uberti '61 Navy is still beautiful and solid, needing only a replacement hand & spring to tighten up the cylinder lock-up. Unlike the "modern" CNC & computer - built Uberti & Pietta's, my old '61 -- and also a Colt '60 I got a few years ago, were more hand built. The frame interior has a rough finish that looks like it was gouged out with a coarse burr. When wiping out the interior during a cleaning, the rough surface snags paper towel lint and rag fibers. None of the newer ones have that problem.

While I get the best accuracy from a lightly tuned and honed 5-1/2" 1858 "Sheriff's Model" Pietta .44, another 1858 .36 cal with 6" barrel amazes people with it's accuracy, even for first time C&B shooters. The Old '61 Uberti Colt Navy is equally accurate, once you get accustomed to the rear sight notch in the hammer. After shooting mine for several decades, and only needing a part or 2, I've got to admit I'm gonna have to file out that rear sight notch a little - the old eyes need that simple modification for a wider notch.

For Monday off 'President's Day' the range was open to members only & a lot of them bring their kids. I brought the Old '61 Navy, one of my Remingtons and the Smith & Wesson .38 Combat Masterpiece Dad used to compete with. One of the guys at the range loves to shoot it, so he did. He used the best target loads I'm able to make, and made one big hole in the target. Meanwhile I was loading the Colt Navy. I was able to make a much bigger, but still all touching hole in my target. Dave fired the Colt and was kinda upset, since his group equalled that of the Smith. Proof that advances in technology don't always give you a 50' target scoring advantage.

He later shot the 1858 Remington, and told me since, that he had one on the way from Cabela's. The Deal was that if his daughter could break 5 consecutive grapefruit at 100 yards with my .54 cal flint Deerstalker (she knows how to load prime and is fearless without any flinch) that I'd cast him up a couple hundred .44 RB's. 12 year old little girls are annoying these days. She broke 5, then 4 of 5 more, and I just handed over a large vitamin jar of RB's that took her 2 hands to lug out to the car.

In the past I got a .500 Mag. shooter to admit that my 2nd Model Dragoon was "MUCH" more fun to shoot.

Latest posts

Back