• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Uberti 3rd Dragoon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mec

45 Cal.
Reaction score
For a long time, the only versions of these were the colt reproductions and an example from Armi San Marco (defunct)
dragoon1.jpg

Now, Uberti USA has the Walker, First Second and Third Draggon and even a version of the Whitneyville and spare parts are available through Cimarron and VTI Gunparts.

Mine is a far cry from the ASM a friend has. He had to do a great deal of work on it to get it to shoot- including major action tuning and reaming the chambers out to a consistent diameter.

The Uberti was made this year and has the same .450 chamber mouths- barrel measurements as on their Walker, Colt Army and 1858 Remington. My first ever six shots from it were a product of blind luck and grouped 2" "duelist" at 62 feet.
It produces repeatably good accuracy at 25 yards and hits fairly high.
dragoon25duelist.jpg

One somewhat off-putting feature is that the vertically mounted loading lever catch is prone to bounce out of register and drop down. I have learned that this happens with the higher velocities from pyrodex P loads but not with Goex FFFG or Pyrodex RS (Rifle Shotgun.) Interestingly, the Pyrodex RS is closer to duplicating the fffg load than Pyrodex P.
Load Velocity Spread (5)
.454 Ball 45 Grains FFFG 881 19
45 Gr/Vol Pyrodex P 1157 55
45 Gr/Vol Pyrodes RS 869 85

200 Grain Lee Conical Bullet
Goex FFFG 35 Grains 967 26
Pyrodes RS 35 Gr/Vol 1066 57

The Pedersoli Flask is adjustable and reported to hold between 30 and 50 grains of black powder. The actual maximum charge is 36 grains and provides full chambers when these bullets are used. Bullets were popular with military users of the Colt Revolvers and a lot of the bullet designs closely resembled the Lee.

The Dragoons evolved from the Walker Colt beginning in 1848 and rapidly advanced to the third model which was Colt's large bore revolver until replaced by the 1860 Army. R.L. Wilson "Colt, An American Legend" gives the production years of the Third Model as 1851-1861. There were 22,000 made in the United States of which all but abut 9,300 from government contracts were sold to civilians. About 700 came out of the London Armory. During the Civil War, a Texas concern made a near-exact copy of the Dragoon.

"Dragoon" is the name given to the revolver by collectors as it was an issue item of the United States Mounted Rifles - known as Cavalry or Dragoons. The standard issue was two of these revolvers riding in closed holsters on either side of the saddle. More than likely, a lot of civilian users regarded them as belt revolvers. They were popular among frontiersmen and Buffalo hunters who proved them capable of dropping Bison at close range.

When the smaller, lower capacity 1860 Army- known as "Belt Pistol of enlarged Caliber" came out, Colt said that it would produce as much velocity as the Dragoon. This might have been accurate as this example gets about the same velocity as a Uberti Army using less powder. It is impossible to know what the velocities actually looked like with the mid 19th century powder and components.

With the large calibers, I am finding that the slight velocity advantage of Pyrodex P over Goex FFFG that is usually seen with revolvers and pistols of smaller chamber size is quite a bit larger. Pyrodex RS seems to be a closer proxy.

Still checking out the Pyrodex Rifle/Shotgun powder with this revolver. It appears to be accurate but I wasn't shooting very well at 25 yards today. Environmental excuses like cold and wind. I snapped this six off at 60 feet and is squares with what I was seeing on my 50 yard target that I shot from a rest while chronographing the load
dragoonpyrors.jpg

Like several of this and last years Ubertis, this one is in perfect time, has a light,crisp trigger pull and displays the quality you usually get in a modern revolver costing about twice as much. This is a very unusual state of affairs for replica blackpowder revolvers and I hope it stays this way.

Back