• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Uberti 1860 strange screw location

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 33697

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I received my new Uberti 1860 Army today and commenced disassembling it to degreasing the factory lubricant, re-lubing and assemble. I noticed two screws on either side of the frame that I cannot tell if they serve any function on the revolver other than to plug two holes. Both are fillister head screws. Being right handed, the screw on the right side of the frame brush uncomfortably against my trigger finger when gripping the revolver. Has anyone encountered this same problem with the Uberti 1860? Is there a fix or do I have to just live with the screws as they are on the frame? Please see the photo below. Comments would be appreciated.

1589418704224.png

That would appear to be a "Cut For Shoulder Stock" configuration. There will also be a notch cut in the bottom of the grip frame meant to engage the tension hook. The raised screw heads mate with a recess in the shoulder stock frame.
1589420284157.png

You have an 1860 Army .44 that is a 4-screw frame with CFS (cut for shoulder stock on the recoil shields) revolver. Yes, it is uncomfortable on the trigger finger. You can just remove those "4th screws" and even replace them with short set screws to fill the holes.

Or, you can obtain a shoulder stock and shoot it as it was designed. Mine:

Regards,

Jim

Have one myself, and I kind of regret not ordering the 1860 'Civilian' Model instead. Same gun, except without those screws and has a brass backstrap.

Thankfully, I don't mind these screw heads on my gun. But if I did, I think I would replace them with an appropriate slotted set screw that would install flush with the frame. Simply removing the screws leaves the inner components exposed to dirt and crud.

Thankfully, I don't mind these screw heads on my gun. But if I did, I think I would replace them with an appropriate slotted set screw that would install flush with the frame. Simply removing the screws leaves the inner components exposed to dirt and crud.
Tom,
The set screw replacement sounds like an excellent idea. By chance, would you know the gunsmith screw thread size that Uberti uses for the two screws mentioned in my thread? Most likely it's metric from Uberti being in Italy, but possibly could be SAE gunsmithing thread size.

Just make sure those set screws are short so as not to interfere with the internal parts (hand, bolt, trigger, hammer).

Jim

I use the screw holes as ports for applying white lithium grease to the action parts. Replace them and fouling really struggles to make it into the works.

Before buying a shoulder stock, try shooting your 1860 one foot from your nose and enjoy the blast of grease, powder, & caps.
Impressive to say the least! I do have difficulty seeing the better shooting capability knowing that feature is about to happen.
I know this from experience, and would rather pass.
Fred

You have an 1860 Army .44 that is a 4-screw frame with CFS (cut for shoulder stock on the recoil shields) revolver. Yes, it is uncomfortable on the trigger finger. You can just remove those "4th screws" and even replace them with short set screws to fill the holes.

Or, you can obtain a shoulder stock and shoot it as it was designed. Mine:

Regards,

Jim
Really nicely done boxed set. Love that stuff.

Latest posts

Back