• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

uberti 1860 army.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hypo

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Well my girlfriend got me a uberti 1860 army for valentine's day and we cleaned it up and took it out to shoot and that's when the problems started..my cci number 10 caps was to small the cci number 11 was to big some very old rem number 10s was to big the nipples seem to be to long I can return the gun and wait 3 weeks to get a new one but I just wanna fix mine it's a beautiful gun and the action is pretty smooth nothing like my 1851.what would be a good aftermarket nipple?I always shoot cci number 10s because I can get them locally for cheap looking for something that will work with them.

I have had my Uberti 1860 for a month. Have fired 54 rounds with stock nipples. I'm using #11 CCI caps, 30gr of 777 FFFg and .454 round ball. The # 11's are not to big for my 1860. DGW recommends #11.
I make sure the caps are snug by using a small bit of wood to push them securely on the nipple. After firing I cock the gun by flipping it up and to the right to remove a loose cap. Also as I cock it, I look to see if the cap has come off and is hanging up in the cylinder.
If it is, I use a thin cut of wood to dislodge it.
I ordered Ampco Treso nipples from www.buffaloarms.com/Muzzleloading_Black_Powder_Nipples_pr-5485.aspx
I Have installed them but have not had a chance to use them. They go on a little snug using Choke Lube. Info states that they are excellent.
Tried Slix nipples. Had to return them as they were too long.

Last edited by a moderator:
Until you decide about changing to the Treso or not, try pinching the caps slightly before putting them on the nipples. That should snug them up enough to grip the nipple. :hmm:

DoubleDeuce 1 said:
Until you decide about changing to the Treso or not, try pinching the caps slightly before putting them on the nipples. That should snug them up enough to grip the nipple. :hmm:

This is exactly what I do with my Uberti 61.
CCI 11's work very good squeezed.

Every time I get a new percussion gun it gets a brand new set of nipples. The one thing these Italian gun makers seem to fail at is nipple production. They manage to make a good gun, then when they get to the firing cones they are lazy...
Doesn't make sense to me. But it is what it is.

Remington #10 cap have some give in it and will fit most nipples well. When I use other brands I have issues with my caps if the fit isn't perfect but them Remington's are pretty good.

The 1075 caps from Dynamite Nobel are pretty good also.

Now if the caps fit well, I really like the CCI magnum, but if they don't fit the nipple just right they are a PITA, so I don't use them except for one of my guns.

Well I ordered some new nipples they should be in next time I get home from work so hopefully 2 weeks thank I can wait haha thanks for the help yall also I'm gonna order some new caps probably rem and I'm gonna try some of the dynamite nobel 1075 caps as well.

You are a very wise person and spot on with your answer :thumbsup: . People fail to realize that there are tolerances in any parts that are being machined -- so -- not all nipples or any other parts are exactly the same :hmm: . When a company makes only nipples ( Tresco makes other stuff also) they can be more exact in their process (material also makes a difference) :wink: .

Haven't got to shoot it but I put some winchester no 11s on it and they fit good and went off very time the hammer hit.thank yall for the help.

Latest posts

Back