• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Uberti 1860 Army front sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hawkeye2 is correct. Fix the short arbor problem first then check again for how high it is shooting. The front sight on an 1860 Army fits into a semicircular longitudinal cut in the barrel. It can be tapped out using a punch at the base of the sight. Make a new taller one same thickness s old one and tap it into place.

How do you fix the short arbor problem?
I know of one or two methods.

There is no dovetail on the Uberti.

8 Bore was right. I shot it again yesterday and it was 4 1/2 to 5 inches high at 25 yards not 10 inches. I shot 3 different powder charges ranging from 22 to 30 and the results were pretty close to the same other than the higher charge shifting things a tad further to the right.

There is very little tension on the wedge. It is a snug fit but I can remove it by hand without too much trouble.

I built up my front sight with the metal set epoxy that comes looking like a putty log that I got at an auto parts store. Filed to height and shape.
Has lasted for 4 years of heavy use and lots of holster carry with no problem.

I drilled and tapped the center of the arbor and put a screw in it. I filed the screw head down until the clearance was right. After I did it I found a different way to do it that is more elegant. If I ever do another one I will do it that way. You can find it here in article number 4.

http://www.theopenrange.net/articles/
I have never seen any need to drill a hole in the end of the arbor. I think a better approach is to lathe turn a slightly under diameter size steel button with the same nose angle/profile (if any, some are milled end flat) as the drill/mill cutter, used to bore the arbor hole. Drill a small hole in the rear of the button and thread so it can be retrieved from the arbor hole while fitting to length.
This maintains the full strength of the arbor slot and utilizes steel against steel to counter the wedge pressure.

I didn't like the screw in the end of the arbor. I don't have a drill press and drilled it a little off center so I used M. De Land's idea and bought a couple washers that fit the arbor hole pretty close and filed one of them to get the correct clearance and epoxied them in place. It worked pretty good and was easy to do. I think in the future I will use epoxy on the front sight as DNS suggested as well.

20190217_112507.jpg

All of my Uberti revolver had short arbors. I had to correct the lenghts any where from .060 to .120. I am so use to it, I don't even take the gun apart to silver solder the to the correct lenght.
Front sights on 1860 Armies can just be tapped out with a small brass hammer. Make taller sights out of brass stock, of the correct thickness. Easy-peasy.
Rebel Dave

I need to fix the same problem with my Pietta 1851 Navy. It shoots close to a foot high at 30 feet. I've filed down the hammer notch but that didn't help as much as I need. My front sight is just a bead.
I remember one member on here made a new sight using a brass? screw filed down to size. I haven't tried removing the bead yet to replace it. Not sure if it unscrews or not so I didn't want to break it.
I think I'd rather make a blade to replace the bead sight.

Back