• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Uberti 1851 Navy light cap strikes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EDGE

32 Cal
Reaction score
Bought the gun used in like new condition. Trigger is very smooth and easy to pull back. I shot it for the first time today. I would put on caps and seat with a dowel. I would make one complete revolution, then all caps would fire the second time struck? Did the sam with #10 & #11 caps. Any ideas what my problem may be?

Typical home gunsmithing, lighten the springs without considering function. If the screws are loose tighten them hopefully the springs haven’t been altered.Also check the arbor fit, if the end shake/ barrel cylinder gap is large the hammer may not hit the nipple well. Buying nipples should not be your first move.

"Trigger is very smooth and easy to pull back."

The Uberti Colts do not have a mainspring adjustment screw like the Remingtons. If by pull back you mean easy to cock then someone has lightened the mainspring. lightning the mainspring is often the first thing beginners do to lighten the trigger pull and with a cap & ball revolver that's usually a step in the wrong direction. You have tried both size caps with the same result and the fact they go off on the second strike seems that they are likely not the issue though if it was mine I would replace the nipples with good aftermarket ones anyway. Look at them after you have checked everything else.

I would install a new full power main spring.
I vote with B P Arm. I had trouble with RWS caps needing second strikes especially on Slixshot nipples. After replacing the match conditioned main spring with an original factory spring my second strike requirement went from 90% needed to about 10%. Part of the probem is RWS caps are a tight fit on Slixshot nipples and just needed to extra power of a heavy main spring.
I still have some, second strikes but for can rolling and rock busting a little thing like that is OK.
Respectfully
Bunk

I vote with B P Arm. I had trouble with RWS caps needing second strikes especially on Slixshot nipples. After replacing the match conditioned main spring with an original factory spring my second strike requirement went from 90% needed to about 10%. Part of the probem is RWS caps are a tight fit on Slixshot nipples and just needed to extra power of a heavy main spring.
I still have some, second strikes but for can rolling and rock busting a little thing like that is OK.
Respectfully
Bunk
I was using CCI caps only.

Try backing the nipples out about one full turn and see if sets off caps. I have on numerous occasions run across factory nipples that were a bit short. Two recent examples. New Uberti 2nd Model Dragoon that one nipple would not set off a cap until I unscrewed it one turn as described. Fired perfectly after that. A Euroarms Rogers & Spencer that was almost new had two nipples with the same problem. I carefully measured the two offending nipples and found them to be less than .002 shorter than the others. That was enough to cause problems.
I usually just replace the factory nipples. The aftermarket ones(take your pick on which brand) seem to be machined to a higher tolerance, and the flash holes are smaller which is another benefit.

Bought the gun used in like new condition. Trigger is very smooth and easy to pull back. I shot it for the first time today. I would put on caps and seat with a dowel. I would make one complete revolution, then all caps would fire the second time struck? Did the sam with #10 & #11 caps. Any ideas what my problem may be?
Tighten the manspring screw, don‘t tighten the bolt - trigger spring too hard or the bolt will peen up your cylinder.

Back