• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Uberti 1851 issue

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koauke

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I just received an Uberti 1851 London from Midway today and the hammer/cylinder does not always lock up properly. Sometimes the hammer won't move back to the final locking position and wants to fall back to half cock. You would think they would check to see if their revolvers cycle properly before leaving the factory.
I had sent back an 1861 Navy with the same issue a couple of years ago and exchanged it for a new one which works perfectly, but since these have been out of stock for quite some time and stock seems to be of short supply right now I wonder if its an easy enough fix to just have it taken care of.

Is this an easy fix or potentially part of a bigger problem?
Is it better just to return it and wait for more to be in stock?
If I take it to a gunsmith is it a fairly inexpensive fix?

Last edited:
Likely problem is the hand is a few thousandths too long and has carried the cylinder to lockup just prior to full cock. If it cocks sometimes then the amount the hand needs to be reduced is very small.

type "percussion revolver timing repair" in "you-tube" for easy videos on timing issues. If your guns get a lot of use you need to learn to maintain them / tune them properly. Trusting most gun-smiths has led to wasted time and $ for me with rare exception...c

Thank you all for the advice. I disassembled and cleaned it and found a burr on one side of the hand. I filed it flat with the side of the hand and it appears that took care of the problem. The burr must have been getting hung up, there are no problems cycling now and everything locks up.

Thank you all for the advice. I disassembled and cleaned it and found a burr on one side of the hand. I filed it flat with the side of the hand and it appears that took care of the problem. The burr must have been getting hung up, there are no problems cycling now and everything locks up.
Happy to hear you found the problem.
Sometimes a little burr that's still attached to the edges of the parts can cause problems. The only edges that should be sharp are the full cock notch edge on the hammer and the nose of the trigger's sear that engages it.

Now it’s “tuned”! :cool:

My Uberti Dragoon came in with a massive burr along the right side of the hand, causing it to bind up when I first field-stripped it and cycled the action. Dressing it cleared that problem up. Then my latest Uberti acquisition (a Navy) also came in with a sticky hand: the action was rough right out of the box and the hand, though had no burrs, was still binding against the arbor when field-stripped. I put a chamfer into the right side and cleared that up straight away.

Seems to be a consistent sticking point for the factory, where they focus on timing or overrun when fitting out the hand but, when they solve that, they move on to the next piece without cleaning up their work.

Dashing Leper? Or is that Dashing Leopard? 😇
The moniker came about when I was channelling my Ricky Bobby on a race car forum. Cuz' I'm a really fast cat... 🤔

I really, really like my new Leech & Rigdon, but by golly, Uberti left a disturbingly large amount of extraneous metal inside the gun. Two of the chambers still had leftover steel discs from where the nipple channels were bored out-- had to knock them free during the cleaning. Obviously they didn't proof every chamber in the cylinder, or you'd expect those remnants to have been blown out.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back