• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Uberti 1849 pocket pistol correct round ball size?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patch@Ball

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Hello, I recently picked up a used model 1849 pocket pistol. Would anyone know what would be the correct size round ball to seat tightly in the chamber. It’s a 31 caliber. Thank you!

I find it best if you measure the cylinder bore and find a 100% lead ball that will shave 6 to 10 thousands off of it when loading. I got some .31 caliber Colt clones and a Remington 1863 that will accept different size balls. On the average "O" buck shot should work fine. :thumb:

I use 0 buckshot in mine, which I am told l will not work because it is too hard or something. Yet, it works perfectly in mine.

Maybe it depends on who makes the buckshot. Used Hornady bulk "OOO buck" in my Cap and flint both traditional and open division guns for many years. Each gun loaded with .350 bulk Hor. buck had no problem beating the best targets posted at the NMLRA and NRA nationals. Maybe some companies use harder lead alloys.

I have some #0 buckshot that my dad bought probably some time in the early 1970s. I found the shot after he died and I was cleaning out his things. No idea of the manufacturer. There is enough left to fill a 12 oz soda bottle (maybe 300-400 balls?).

My load is 12 to 15 grains (max.) of FFFFg or FFFG powder, no wad, and a little of my homemade bullet lube on top. Lube is made from approximately 2 parts beeswax and 1 part Crisco. I like this lube because it is easy to find the ingredients, and it does not go rancid, yet seems to work about as well as anything else I have tried.

If you look closely at the picture, you can see that not all of the balls are perfectly round, and the diameter varies slightly. But, they shoot well enough for my needs.

100_7429.JPG
100_7436.JPG
100_7439.JPG

I have some #0 buckshot that my dad bought probably some time in the early 1970s. I found the shot after he died and I was cleaning out his things. No idea of the manufacturer. There is enough left to fill a 12 oz soda bottle (maybe 300-400 balls?).

My load is 12 to 15 grains (max.) of FFFFg or FFFG powder, no wad, and a little of my homemade bullet lube on top. Lube is made from approximately 2 parts beeswax and 1 part Crisco. I like this lube because it is easy to find the ingredients, and it does not go rancid, yet seems to work about as well as anything else I have tried.

If you look closely at the picture, you can see that not all of the balls are perfectly round, and the diameter varies slightly. But, they shoot well enough for my needs.

View attachment 120034View attachment 120035View attachment 120036.
Nice holster

When I had my .36 Bedford County rifle, I used 000 buckshot, and had very good results. Hornady's buckshot is swaged and antimony added to make it harder, but it still functioned very well. I could envision 0 buckshot in a pistol functioning since a part of the ball is shaved off, which should allow complete engagement in the barrel.

In some of the older reproduction .31's the chambers are no larger in diameter than the bore of the barrel. Hardened shot can be of a benefit there because it only rides the bore rather than being in the rifling grooves.
An elongated bullet can help as well. These are leftovers from the 70's when I terrorized empties with a 4" barreled FIE .31.
31s.jpg

Last edited:
Mine uses a .330 ball, which is OO Buckshot size. However, all the factory buckshot I have tried is very hard, making loading especially difficult. I stumbled across a single cavity Lee mold in .330, and using soft lead it makes loading the revolver much easier. Even if a fellow is strong enough to ram that hard buckshot in, I can't believe that little lever is going to last long applying that much force. There is a gadget that gives more leverage to the person loading, but that does nothing to alleviate the stress on the loading lever and linkage thereof. I found a .320-323 ball would load of course, but no lead was shaved, thus providing no stability to stay put under recoil, and no seal resulting in very low velocity. Use a .330 of pure, soft lead.

I just got my 1849 in today and also got this Lee mold to try. It says .314 on a 90 grain semi wad cutter.
89B7D024-0742-48C6-9778-CA80B7119DC6.jpeg
No idea if it’s going to work but gonna give her a try this weekend 😎.

Fingers crossed!!

Hoping it works well for you, but that is well under bore diameter. Those bullets will not shave any lead, in fact may just fall into the chamber. A .320 round ball in mine almost goes into the cylinder with gravity, and no seal whatsoever. I have shot that bullet diameter (.314) in my Uberti pocket model, but using something brass to hold it in place and a modification that we don't talk about here. It did ok accuracy wise, even though my recovered bullets showed scant evidence of engaging the rifling.

I’m hoping they drop larger than the .314 but I will only know when I cast a few lol. If they don’t work then I will send the mold back or sell it online. Anyone know where I can get a conicals mold? I saw that Lee has a .319 round ball mold.

Measure the diameter of the chamber mouth of your cylinder. I recommend that you get a digital Vernier calipers. These can measure inside or outside dimensions. Then you know the diameter of the bullet you need. No unnecessary purchase of molds that throw bullets that don't fit. Acceptable calipers are not expensive and can be found for about $20.

I would not feel right sending the mold back after I had used it, unless the mold were defective in some way. But that's just me.

I have a few 31 caliber bullet molds for centerfire revolvers I have. I have not tried them in my Uberti Colt.

I have tried Lee cast conical bullets in my 36 and 45 caiber revolvers, but always went back to round ball, mostly because they are easier to load.

Please let us know about the results you get.

Back