• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Uberti 1849 pocket pistol correct round ball size?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I cast some of the .314s and they didn’t fit :(

Do they make a conicals for the 31 pockets?

Yes. Era's Gone bullet molds. They are made by Lee for Era's Gone, but are currently on backorder, and have been for a LONG time.

I will check them out. What about ball molds? I slugged the bore and came up with .3175 and .3085.
876D30B9-D598-4C7E-A7ED-12F20093D4CC.jpeg
36A66501-7D74-41C8-B802-F6FDF2A07D96.jpeg

There is a lot of room for error with round balls. They can be oversize, and still be swagged into the charge holes. I would bet that .318 to .323 round balls would fit well enough.

It's not rocket surgery. ;) :) 😺

Soft lead round balls of 0.323" diameter would be better. That's 0.005" larger than the groove depth.

What is the measurement of the diameter of the chamber mouth? That is where the ball must be swaged into the cylinder. The best diameter would be close to the groove diameter of the barrel or 0.3175". Then as the ball (or bullet) passes through the forcing cone, the rifling will be engraved on the projectile.

I use a .330 ball, as that was what my Uberti factory literature recommended. I know their bore and chamber specs have changed over the years, in my gun the .320 ball will move in the cylinder, as it is a loose fit. I also get no seal with balls under .330, and the performance suffers dramatically as a result. Over a chronograph, a .320 ball will go about 400 fps and bounce off a sheet of 3/8" wafer board. A .330 ball, using the same powder charge will get 950 fps and zip through a couple of 2x4's no problem. For those who think the .31 pocket gun is a pop-gun, watch this video:

Back