• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Uberti 1847 Colt Walker Reproduction and holster/belt rig

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I see that now. I went backed and looked for threads, and this forum is strictly muzzle loaders. I don't know if I can edit and delete the pictures of SAA, but I will try. If not, I won't be upset if the moderators do it for me. Thanks for the heads up.

Yes, I was able to delete the SAA pictures. Thanks again for the heads up! Not trying to cause troubles or upset the members. Just an old fool at times ;)

TFoley, I meant Awesome, not Aewsome! Typo. I watched that video of the Champion shooting his Walker. Good grief he makes that massive hog leg look like an 1860 Army size revolver! What massive hands he has. Trust me, it will look a lot bigger in my hands! We had snow and freezing rain today. I'm just dying to shoot the Walker! Can't get my photographer, videographer, Betty excited about it in this weather.

Two years ago, the Hungarian champion shooter, Gyula Mészáros, shot his Pedersoli Walker into the history books with a load of just 30gr of Swiss #2. See how he did it here -

If the Walker looks small in his hands, remember that he is 6ft 8in, and built like Thor.

If you haven't seen the channel, cap and ball, then you are really missing out on the sheer fun enjoyed by Bálasz Németh and his fascinating look at the BP world - he is, by the way a current and former WC in a number of BP disciplines, as well as a national champion. He and his brother run a mainly BP-oriented gun store in Budapest - kapszli.hu. Need a perfect replication of a Remington paper cartridge box? They have 'em, among a ton of other stuff.

I did not know Perersoli made a Walker replica. I really like my Uberti, it is well made. Pedersoli's are a step up from them in my opinion though. From the Cap & Ball revolvers I've had a chance to drool over, I rate Pederosli's tops, then Uberti's and last place Pietta. Price seems to follow that order as well, so I guess you get what you pay for!

Plugged nickel, wasn't upset just giving you a heads up. I like your " eat a live toad ". Think I will steal it and use it on my buddies.
I know, I could tell by the gentle way you let me know. I was meaning not wanting to upset any of the other, perhaps more volatile and less tactful members. I appreciate it, yes, you can use that "eat a live toad," I stole it from Bob Brownells Gunsmith Kinks vol. II LOL, it's a good one for sure.

PluggedNickel - you are right, of course, it is Uberti and not Pedersoli who made Gyula's Walker, the same as mine, but I suspect, a lot newer!

Plugged Nickel, you have some nice six-shooters, but the cartridge guns are not for this forum, I am surprise the moderator's have not remove them.

I know I'm a long away away, and might have blinked, but I didn't actually see any cartridge-firing guns in PluggedNickel's posts. Did they get removed?

I see a whole lot of pictures of guns that have absolutely nothing to do with handguns but I don't see any cartridge guns in the photos PluggedNickel posted.
They are all muzzleloaders or cap & ball pistols. Even the modern plastic box is filled with muzzleloading stuff.

Hmmm....I didn't see any cartridge guns...?? But I may be blind. I disagree that NO ONE ever carried a Walker, or a Dragoon, in a belt holster. If a guy wanted to do that, back in the day, would someone stop him? Would he be arrested or shunned? Made fun of? Exiled to Mexico? A Walker, to a really big guy, would be about the same as a little guy packing a 1860. And certainly anyone over six-foot, with a little meat on their bones, could get used to one. So again, never say never. If we had a time machine, I think we could find some dude packing a Walker or Dragoon in a belt holster. !!! Okay, enough of that, and all said with all due respect.

Love the 1861, my favorite cap gun rifle. I have an Armi-Sport that is just perfection. I thought about an Enfield, but the hammer on the '61 is just too cool. I really like the '61 also, because, as you know, a '61 is just the '55 with the paper cap device removed to speed production and cut costs. The 1855 was fired for the first time in anger, in 1858, just a few miles from my home, at the Battle of Four Lakes.

I did delete all the cartridge pictures after I got the heads up from from JuiceJaws! I really appreciated it too. Saved me from getting clobbered with protests from the membership! ;)

Whats with the clean horse feeding bucket in front of the no-no bullet chart???
It was a meant as a joke, referring to what I called my "previous holster for the Walker." I took a picture of the horse feeder in the basement, the modern cartridge chart I eventually mounted on the reloading bench wall. It was just draped over the chair till I got around to hanging it up. It is an old picture.

I see a whole lot of pictures of guns that have absolutely nothing to do with handguns but I don't see any cartridge guns in the photos PluggedNickel posted.
They are all muzzleloaders or cap & ball pistols. Even the modern plastic box is filled with muzzleloading stuff.
Yeah, I did get off topic with the pictures of the 1861 for sure. I guess the moderators decided they would let them ride though. I will try to do better in the future. You guys don't miss much! :)

Hmmm....I didn't see any cartridge guns...?? But I may be blind. I disagree that NO ONE ever carried a Walker, or a Dragoon, in a belt holster. If a guy wanted to do that, back in the day, would someone stop him? Would he be arrested or shunned? Made fun of? Exiled to Mexico? A Walker, to a really big guy, would be about the same as a little guy packing a 1860. And certainly anyone over six-foot, with a little meat on their bones, could get used to one. So again, never say never. If we had a time machine, I think we could find some dude packing a Walker or Dragoon in a belt holster. !!! Okay, enough of that, and all said with all due respect.

Love the 1861, my favorite cap gun rifle. I have an Armi-Sport that is just perfection. I thought about an Enfield, but the hammer on the '61 is just too cool. I really like the '61 also, because, as you know, a '61 is just the '55 with the paper cap device removed to speed production and cut costs. The 1855 was fired for the first time in anger, in 1858, just a few miles from my home, at the Battle of Four Lakes.

I expect the folks back in the day used what they had. I suspect since everyone was armed back then, people were for the most part a lot more respectful and polite towards one another, than we are lead to believe from the modern Western movie genre. Sure there were bad asses, no doubt about that. Most folks wouldn't care to get shot or killed over a sharp tongued remark, or slight, I think. I'm betting in most cases where it did happen, there was alcohol involved. Town folks were pretty tight knit back then too. They had to be if the town was to survive. I don't think the neighborly towns folks would laugh at a friend or neighbor that showed up with a Walker, no matter what he chose to pack it in. Of course none of us really knows for sure. Who can really say without that time machine you mentioned?
You know what they say "an armed society, is a polite society!" Probably some truth in that. You got to admire that little Mattie Ross in True Grit, for packing that hog leg around in the flour sack. I know just a movie, but it was a great effect. And that classic line "By God girl, that's a Colt Dragoon!" Reuben J. "Rooster" Cogburn. Rooster mi-identified the Colt Walker, but hey, close enough. ;)

Be careful whem shooting the Walker. The ram rod does not hook to the bottom of the barrel like the later colts. It will probably fall down during recoil and you will not be able to rotate the cylinder.
I wouldnt think twice about some peoples comments. There are idiots everwhere.

Well, as you know, the 1861 picture sure didn't hurt my feelings. I'd post a pic of mine, but the thing is so darn long that I'd need a fish-eye lens to do it. Or get back so far you wouldn't know what it was. And I got to thinking, if guys could march all day with ten pound rifles, the Walker couldn't be all that difficult to wear on a belt.

I'm thinking that if I walked into the saloon, and there's a guy six-foot-six, 250 pounds, and packing a Walker like it was a '51 Navy, I'd be polite.

Be careful whem shooting the Walker. The ram rod does not hook to the bottom of the barrel like the later colts. It will probably fall down during recoil and you will not be able to rotate the cylinder.
I wouldnt think twice about some peoples comments. There are idiots everwhere.

I have the RANGER rubber band around the ram rod arm. My ram rod snaps in place fairly tight, and seems pretty secure, but I put the rubber band around it just in case. Thanks for the tip.

Most likely it will drop, I think it's just the nature of the Walker to do that. However, I think those things hold 50 grains of powder or more, so you won't need a quick follow up shot......or load more than one chamber. :)

I've seen video's of people shooting them, were they just slap the lever back up after every shot. That seems like a pain in the butt to me, and if the Ram handle doesn't drop down with every shoot, as I've seen it do in the video's, that variable, could affect accuracy. I like things being consistent when shooting. So the RANGER rubber band will stay in place while shooting. They are made of heavy/thick EPDM rubber, resistant to oils, solvents, heat. Should work wonderfully.

Back