• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Types of flint locks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musketman

Passed On
Reaction score
Flintlock shoulder arms:

English Military Muskets: Commonly referred to as the "Brown Bess". The .75 caliber musket saw numerous changes between 1730 and 1778. Its variations included the Long Land Patterns with a 46" barrel and wooden or steel rammers; the Sea Service Musket with a 37" barrel; and the Short Land Pattern with a 42" barrel and steel rammer. The Short Land Pattern being the newest was in common use by the British during the Revolution. In contrast, the Americans frequently used the older Long Land Patterns dating back to the F&I period.

French Military Muskets: These governments muskets were made at three royal arms manufucatories at St. Etienne, Charleville and Maubeuge. The Model 1777, commonly referred to as the "Charleville" had a 44-3/4" banded barrel and was .69 caliber.

Fusils: Light, smoothbore shoulder weapon of smaller size and caliber than regular infantry weapons. Commonly issued to officers.

Carbines: Reduced bore size, but not always reduced barrel length. Commonly issued to dragoons, sergeants, and grenadiers.

Blunderbusses: Shortened shoulder stocked firearms with flared muzzles that often fired multiple small shot. Short range of limited use during Revolution. It was determined that the flared muzzle had minimum influence on the shot pattern.

Wall or Rampart Guns: Heavy barreled, large bore semi-shoulder weapon that fired a longer range than the infantry musket. Often mounted on swivels on a parapet of a fort, or on a ship's deck.

Fowlers: Civilian hunting guns capable of shooting multiple projectiles of small shot (bird shot), a few larger projectiles called buck, or a single round lead projectile called a ball. Fowlers normally had stocks running the full length of the barrel. These stocks were sometimes cut down to allow for the addition of a socket bayonet.

Trade Guns: Commercial guns made in Europe for sale in the American Colonies for the fur trade and frontier settlement.

Jaeger Hunting Rifle: Developed as a big game weapon in Central Europe. Short, large bored, and heavily stocked. Predecessor of the American Rifle.

American Long Rifle: Long barreled, small bore impressively accurate at long distances. Origins in Pennsylvania. Later used on frontiers of Maryland, Virginia, and the Carolinas. Used in the American revolution by companies of southern riflemen, but did not see extensive use in the northeast until after the revolution. Northeast hunters needed larger calibers for the game still available in New England. For military purposes, the musket had two advantages over the rifle. The musket's smooth bore could be loaded up to four times faster than a patched ball in a rifled barrel. In addition, while effective at long range, rifles were not capable of utilizing a bayonet - a fact that proved deadly to many riflemen facing a British infantry charge.

Hi, I'm new to the board. As I was reading this post one of the lines struck me as odd.

quote:rifles were not capable of utilizing a bayonet Why is this?

PK,
A curious newbie

"In addition, while effective at long range, rifles were not capable of utilizing a bayonet - a fact that proved deadly to many riflemen facing a British infantry charge."

Rifles for the most part, lacked a locking lug to attatch a bayonet to, the barrels were flush with the end of the stocks.

The half/stock rifles could have had a bayonet locking lug made for it, and there might have well been a few gunsmiths that tried this in their day.

The rifled musket would be the other route to take if a shooter wanted a bayonet and a rifle.

I hope this helps and welcome.
grin.gif

Generaly rifles were not considered military arms thus were not made to accomadate a bayonet, later in history as the military accepted the rifle some wer fitted for the pigsticker

thanks for the replies.

It just didnt' seem to make sense to me that they wouldn't retrofit the gun to be able to handle a bayonet.

Well, you are right...
They did, and still are to this day...

WW-I and WW-II guns did have bayonets, as do some M-16's. But that is getting off topic by a few years...

Imagine a 6 pounder, 4.5 inch bore Civil War cannon sporting a bayonet.
shocked.gif
What a sight that would be.
grin.gif

I don't know how often it was used on rifles but the plug bayonet that just stuck in the barrel after the gun was shot was also an option...keep in mind if you were a rifleman regular or miltia without a bayonet then you shot and ran...the other way, with a bayonet you were expected to run toward the enemy, this may account for the lack of interest in bayonets by riflemen

Back