• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Type of tap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It will be easier to start the threading with a taper tap. It will most likely have to be followed up with a plug tap unless you are tapping a large bore barrel and the "taper" of the taper tap can completely enter the bore fully finishing the threads.

A plug tap has a shorter taper (3-5 threads) and can finish the threads started with the taper tap if it bottoms out before finishing.

I agree with Mark. Use a plug tap instead of a taper tap if barrel is small caliber. A taper tap can hit the other side of the barrel before the threads are fully cut. If the barrel side thickness is more than the length of the liner, then use a bottom tap.

1/4 - 32 size tap, Amazon sells them.
Screenshot_20220503-010205_Gallery.jpg

All sizes of White Lightnings have 32 TPI. I've found that the 1/4-32 WL is good for all the bbl sizes and that's what I have used. Bought {2} 1/4-32 taps from Chambers ...one has the point and some of the lead in threads ground off and the other is used as is to start the tapping. The modified tap prevents the tap from contacting the opposite side of the bore when achieving a fully threaded hole......Fred

Since it's considered a non standard liner, wouldn't the White Lightning itself be a reinvention of the wheel?

Ah yep.......

TH liners come in all sorts of sizes seeing many are one of a kind...being hand crafted. So what's "non standard"? Previous to the WL, I made my own but the elliptical cone switched me over....Fred

Back