• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Two shot rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
20210924_113604.jpg
20210924_113545.jpg
20210924_114446.jpg

I’ve never handled one of these rotating barrel guns. What is the locking mechanism that keeps the barrels stationary for firing? Cool looking rifle.

I always wanted one, flintlock, .62 smoothbore and probably .40 rifle. That would be my dream gun.

The bbl. marking, "Esopus," "Port Ewen" are intriguing as Port Ewen is only ~6 miles from my home, but I don't know of a gunmaker there. The gun looks like one Hopkins & Allen/Numrich Arms used to sell, so I wonder if they farmed those bbl's. out or produced them in house and marked them for "local flavor"? Lastly, in the early '70's, you could always find a couple of those double rifles in the [sale] racks at Numrich (~11 miles from me).

Last edited:
idaho is an exception to the one barrel/shot rule. we can have doubles in the muzzleloader only hunt.
I could use it a double here in Tennessee. I just checked the regulations and you can hunt big game with a ML as long as it’s 36 caliber or larger.

Spring loaded plunger and detent notch one on each side there is debate about Timothy Murphy using a flintlock version at Saratoga.his former home in nearby Charlotteville NY this one was bought at the Oneonta NY gun show a few years back
20210910_121655_resized(1).jpg

Every state I've hunted only allowed ML rifles that can only fire one round and then have to be reloaded.

So it often depends on the wording...., as long as you're not shooting two ball from a single barrel (which is often what that reg means), in many states having a second barrel with a single ball is still within regs.

Sometimes you have to do some research too, by checking with case law as well as what a Game Warden says. A lot of LEO's are taught what the law is, but haven't ever read the law themselves.

LD

Spring loaded plunger and detent notch one on each side there is debate about Timothy Murphy using a flintlock version at Saratoga.

Yes as a matter of fact it's pretty much settled that his swivel breech was post AWI...., and another interesting item...Mr. Murphy himself, never claimed to have been the marksman who downed Frazier. He was, however, among them when they were shooting at General Frazier.

LD

Nice !

Once upon a time (in the 1970's) I attended a local New England rendezvous, where I met a much older gunmaker who was selling his self-made twist barrel double rifles.

Both barrels had the same bore size, IIRC.

For deer hunting, my state will allow any muzzleloader, except for drop-in barreled modern shotguns.

Double rifles (either O/U or SxS) are allowed.

I had one of the Numrich Arms swivel barrel guns in .45. The barrels were marked .45, but a .440 ball with a .010 patch was too tight to push down. The lock was very weak and would often times not even hit the cap hard enough for the gun to go off. I was not impressed with the accuracy of the gun either.
My state only allows single barrel muzzleloaders, with powder and projectile loaded from the muzzle, during the muzzleloader black powder deer season.

I have had the Esopus rifle, Numrich Arms rifle and a couple of Leonard Day rifles. That second shot is great if using in regular gun season, but I believe it is illegal for ML season.

Shown off this one before , I made it last year .620 smooth bore barrels with L&R locks. The big challenge was getting some decent wood for the stock, in the end I used some old hardwood window frames Based it on my Reilly 1860 cape rifle, just had to have one. The barrels were actualy quite easy to make and soft soldered everything up on the kitchen stove ........love double rifles. Got a Flint 8 bore in the making but not I'll I finished my .620 oval bore with a 1820 Bess lock Uk police forced me to be a collector only, Need to go overseas to shoot now got around 18 rifles in my collection. Love them love hunting. Cannot even hunt with a bow and arrow in uk. So at 78 stuck with hunting rabbits and squirrels with my PCR air rifles....my chequring needs a lot to be desired but it has the made in India replacement stock look 😋😋😋😋😋😋. Do whatever makes you happy. Like feeding my local fox very timid still.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    206.7 KB · Views: 77
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    188 KB · Views: 81
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    190.9 KB · Views: 78
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    207 KB · Views: 75
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 69
The only restrictions I'm aware of here in SC used to be "no revolving rifles". For a while the only rifle you could use for deer and squirrels both was .40 caliber. Minimum .40 for deer, maximum .40 for small game. no caliber restrictions of any kind now, and don't think there was ever any ban on twice barreled guns.

Back