• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Two-Handed Hold

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suspect much of the predominance of the single hand hold had to do with the weapon's development for cavalry, and as a secondary weapon for officers and the like.

I too think that might be a contributing factor for the single handed hold. In that situation it would make sense to me not to let go of the reins.

On another note, in tonight's episode of "Laramie", Jess Harper (Robert Fuller) used a two handed hold in a gunfight. He hit his opponent too. :idunno:

So many mixed messages :rotf:

DoubleDeuce said:
So many mixed messages :rotf:
Why can't the entertainment industry understand how confusing that is for those of us who get our history from the movies and TV? :wink:

Spence

DoubleDeuce 1 said:
After watching old Westerns all day today, :hmm: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Yup got to love how they THREW the bullet when they fired the gun!!!!!!!!

[they threw the bullet when they fired by shooting the gun after flinging the barrel forward.]

That was a Hollywood design kind of like shooting the gun out of the bad guys hand instead of shooting center mass.

Shooting only by one hand is stupid!! period.

I started shooting a handgun at 11 years old. It was with a British 38 special double action only. Holding it became natural if I wanted to hit what I was shooting at.

Regress to 150 years before. I was shooting a Single shot flint lock pistol. To shoot it best and actually hit what I was shooting at I used 2hands.

Now to today, I get pictures that may be drawn 100 years later than period and that is the proof no one shot with two hands??

You have got to be kidding me PC or what!

You could tell by the furrow in their brow and the set of their jaw, those barrel flippin', bullet flingin' desperados meant business. And they never missed their mark. That was a sure sign that trouble was at the high water mark. Time for good to triumph over evil and kiss the pretty girl when the smoke cleared and the dust settled. :rotf:

True bot ole' Roy, Gene and Hoppy could shoot the gun out of the bad guys hand at 80 yards with just one shot.
I'm sure it had to do with the way they used their one hand to fling the barrel at the baddies.

Using a 2 handed hold I can keep almost all of my shots inside of minute of (previously perforated) 5 gal. propane tank at 100 yards, with my The Gun Works, .45 capper.

I read a reprint of an old newspaper story about a "duel" where the (apparently inebriated)participants agreed to hold their gun in the right hand and both used the left hand to grasp the opposite corners of a bandanna. There was apparently a lot of jumping around because there were no injuries sustained and both ended up buying each other a drink to celebrate.

+1 on smoothshooter’s reference to Charles Schreyvogel. That’s some good stuff.

I watched "The Magnificent Seven" this morning. There was a mix of single hand shooting during the climax. And then came Steve McQueen. I recall at least two scenes where he resorted to the use of both hands supporting the revolver. He was of course wounded in the leg and engaging several bad guys. I don't think he missed.

The movie was made in 1960, so there must be some historical evidence to base one and two hand holds on... :idunno: :rotf:

Coot on page 1 said:

The US military was still teaching a single hand hold at least thru the early 70s.
--------------------------------------------------
In the first half of 1968 when I was being trained in the army, we were taught 2 handed hold of the 1911.

Latest posts

Back