• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Two guns well possibly three!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I have not a lot of muzzleloaders but enough to make it hard to choose which one to shoot and hunt with, so I was thinking I’m going to clean my others really well and put them away for the season and use two main guns and a third, percussion, for rainy days in rifle season. So the guns I’m going to keep to hunt and shoot with this year are my 20/.62 smoothbore barn flint rifle I’m building, my .32 converted flint CVA squirrel and my .54 CVA mountain rifle in percussion for those rainy days or possibly just in gun season so I can reach out a little farther then i could with the smoothbore. Not saying you have to do this of course but just for fun if you had to pick to main guns and a specialty gun what would it be for your hunting adventures!?

If I had to pick only three guns? You are a cold cruel SOB! ;)

That said I guess I would select:

• My beat up old T/C Hawken .45 with a ringed barrel and a stock that is epoxied together. This gun has a Williams FP-Hawken aperture sight and shoots conicals/unmentionables quite well. It is a "Frankenstein" gun made from parts I got from at least three guns. It's kinda ugly in some ways, but sorta grows on you after shooting it a while, It's the gun I shot on video here What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?
  • My Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifle in .54 caliber. It has a single set trigger, an oversized triggerguard and has a slow twist barrel that will throw PRB into a neat cloverleaf if I do my part. The "rust blue" finish is ugly at first, but it grows on you.
  • Either my "Yellow Bird Gun" which is a heavily modified T/C Greyhawk/New Englander equipped with three very short interchangeable barrels... in effect, giving me three guns in one, or possibly my T/C .36 caliber Seneca, but maybe the .32 Cherokee. I'm really not sure which I would pick for the last choice.
Hopefully, I will never need to choose and when/if I get my Pedersoli Kodiak .58, these choices might change.

• My beat up old T/C Hawken .45 with a ringed barrel and a stock that is epoxied together. This gun has a Williams FP-Hawken aperture sight and shoots conicals/unmentionables quite well. It is a "Frankenstein" gun made from parts I got from at least three guns. It's kinda ugly in some ways, but sorta grows on you after shooting it a while, It's the gun I shot on video here What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?
  • My Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifle in .54 caliber. It has a single set trigger, an oversized triggerguard and has a slow twist barrel that will throw PRB into a neat cloverleaf if I do my part. The "rust blue" finish is ugly at first, but it grows on you.
  • Either my "Yellow Bird Gun" which is a heavily modified T/C Greyhawk/New Englander equipped with three very short interchangeable barrels... in effect, giving me three guns in one, or possibly my T/C .36 caliber Seneca, but maybe the .32 Cherokee. I'm really not sure which I would pick for the last choice.
Hopefully, I will never need to choose and when/if I get my Pedersoli Kodiak .58, these choices might change.
It’s funny how pretty guns don’t always make the list hahaha

I only have three total! My .50 cal GPR percussion. It will be my fall back gun I hope! I am hoping it is my fall back gun because I’m working on a Chambers PA Fowler. My plan is for it to be my main hunting gun next year. Then as third on the list is my Pedersoli .50 Kentucky pistol I need to finish building as well. I hope to carry this with either long gun next season.

I went through this mental exercise when figuring out what muzzleloaders I want to build. I really only hunt squirrel and turkey so two guns suited for those species, plus something that would be efficient with regards to powder and lead for days at the range. I started out with a .32 percussion Appalachian rifle that I'm wrapping up to check the boxes for squirrels and target shooting, next I'm building a .62 flintlock Lancaster smooth rifle to check the box for turkeys as well as squirrels and, if I ever get the opportunity, possibly deer.

I only have three total! My .50 cal GPR percussion. It will be my fall back gun I hope! I am hoping it is my fall back gun because I’m working on a Chambers PA Fowler. My plan is for it to be my main hunting gun next year. Then as third on the list is my Pedersoli .50 Kentucky pistol I need to finish building as well. I hope to carry this with either long gun next season.
That’s one thing I don’t have and would like is a pistol!

I have only 3 ML that I shoot regularly. The rest are not really safe queens, but I just drag them out and shoot them occasionally.
The 3 three I shoot regularly are the ones I hunt with and know well. They are:
1) .62 Jaeger for large game
2) .45 SMR for smaller game and plinking (looking for a .40)
3) 12 gauge caplock for when I need a shotgun.

Hmmm...I no longer go out and actually hunt, but I use to. So my choices might be a bit whimsical I suppose.
In reality I couldn't settle for only 3 guns, I'd have to have at least one or two more. But the op said three.
First I'd have to have my .36 SMR flintlock as I shoot it a lot and it would cover small game and varmints.
This next selection is a tough one. I'm a .45 addict but in this case it would be my .50 flintlock. It's essentially a "Frankenrifle" but is a blend of a youth's rifle, York and early Lancaster. It's real pretty if that makes a difference. I've had it for years but it has never taken game.
Number 3 would have to be my TVM 20 ga smoothbore. It has a rear sight and has killed deer. I don't care that much about shotguns but it would give me the option of using shot.

Hmmm...I no longer go out and actually hunt, but I use to. So my choices might be a bit whimsical I suppose.
In reality I couldn't settle for only 3 guns, I'd have to have at least one or two more. But the op said three.
First I'd have to have my .36 SMR flintlock as I shoot it a lot and it would cover small game and varmints.
This next selection is a tough one. I'm a .45 addict but in this case it would be my .50 flintlock. It's essentially a "Frankenrifle" but is a blend of a youth's rifle, York and early Lancaster. It's real pretty if that makes a difference. I've had it for years but it has never taken game.
Number 3 would have to be my TVM 20 ga smoothbore. It has a rear sight and has killed deer. I don't care that much about shotguns but it would give me the option of using shot.
I would like to see this Frankenrifle if possible 🤔

So I have not a lot of muzzleloaders but enough to make it hard to choose which one to shoot and hunt with, so I was thinking I’m going to clean my others really well and put them away for the season and use two main guns and a third, percussion, for rainy days inrifle season. So the guns I’m going to keep to hunt and shoot with this year are my 20/.62 smoothbore barn flint rifle I’m building, my .32 converted flint CVA squirrel and my .54 CVA mountain rifle in percussion for those rainy days or possibly just in gun season so I can reach out a little farther then i could with the smoothbore. Not saying you have to do this of course but just for fun if you had to pick to main guns and a specialty gun what would it be for your hunting adventures!?
Wow... only three???
Ok, my Navy Arms 12 bore T&T. For turkey, running bunnies, birds on the wing.
My Navy Arms 58 Musketoon. It shoots under 3 moa with 500 gr Minies with lousy issue sights. Aperture sights one day.
My 40 cal left hand Early Lancaster with a Person's tuned lock.
That'll do it.... This Week!!

That sounds like a very good selection!

H&A under hammer in 45, my Cherokee in 32 and my last option would be my pietta 1851 navy. have the parts to make it 36 or 44 caliber and a shoulder stock.

To help you decide which gun(s) you would take try this idea a friend once told me. --- Imagine your house is on fire and you only have time to grab 3 guns. Seriously, that will help you determine which ones you truly want.

Latest posts

Back