• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Two flint fullstock Hawkens

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herb

54 Cal.
Reaction score
The dark one is a Green River .58 barrel, 1 x 36", that I recently completed. The lighter one is a 1 x 36" .54 Green River by Neill Fields. Each weighs 9 3/4 pounds. Both are stained with Fiebing's dark brown oil leather dye.
Feb2008058.jpg

I used a Manton and Ashmore lock on mine, which I really like. The first flint went about 125 hammer falls. I used a flint plug rather than a hooked breech, which shortened the barrel assembly about one inch and kept it 2-3 ounces lighter. Mine has been fired about 150 rounds here, Neill's is owned by a collector and has not been fired.
Feb2008079.jpg

Neill's serial number here is from at least six years ago. He is up over 400 builds now. He is building a walnut .54 English sporting rifle for raffle at the Rocky Mountain rendezvous in July. Be nice to win it- but then, I'm also building an English sporting rifle .54. What would I do with another? We shot my Mark Silver early Virginia flint .58 today, warming up for Jim's Peep shoot (don't ask) Saturday. Neill and Lynn will shoot their .40's.
Feb2008063.jpg

Those are REALLY NICE! I bought an English sporting rifle last year. It has a Getz 31in. .54 cal. swamped barrel and a Chambers colonial roundfaced lock. Stocked in walnut is a pleasure to carry. Hope you enjoy yours and let us know how it turns out.

Geez. Those are my heart's desires. Absolutely beautiful guns. No fancy frills, just superb architecture and finish. Wow.

Those are great looking guns! Nice job. I'll be building a Hawkens as soon as I get the .54 GM barrel from TOW. Not going with the hooked breech either. Was checking out the L&R lock for mine (Manton & Ashmore ??-don't have the catalog in front of me). 125 strikes with a flint is REAL good. Anyway, nice job, congrats!

Yes, page 186 of the new catalog, Lock-LR-900D. I got the parts in trade for an Issac Haines .40 I built, otherwise wouldn't have used one. On that flint plug, you may have to cut the plug to 1/2" length to get the flash hole where you want it and the lock bolt clearing the back of the barrel. Check that carefully. Mark, I also like the Ketland locks and have used several of them. Thanks to all for the nice comments. I may be shooting against this Hawken at Jim's "Peep" shoot this Saturday. Hope I win.

Back