• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Two exciting new lock offerings

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,
We have 2 new lock offerings that raise the bar of quality very high. The first is a Germanic lock by Chris Laubach. It is appropriate for Jaegers and early American long rifles. The entire lock is CNC machined to very high tolerances. It is the first commercial lock I've seen that does not require any tuning, cleaning up, or extensive polishing before inletting. You can get more info here: https://firelocksllc.com/.

The second lock is a round-faced 1750-1760 English lock by Jim Kibler. All parts are CNC machined from scratch except the frizzens, flintcocks, and top jaws. Even those parts are machined after casting for precise fitting. This is likely the finest round-faced lock available at this time. You can find out more here: https://kiblerslongrifles.com/collections/locks/products/kibler-colonial-flintlock

It is very exciting to have these new offerings and I think they open a new era of quality components.

dave

Reading the information in the link about the Round Face lock, it does not mention a fly.
I'm not sure why a fly would be left out of the design but for any builder who is considering using double set triggers on their build, I think a fly would be a necessity. (No hunter I know would want to have a single blade double set trigger on their rifle.)

I expect the first comments we'll see are regarding the prices. A Chambers Siler is $195, an L&R is $170 and Kibler's is $235. If indeed Kibler's parts are interchangable without fitting and the lock doesn't require any additional work I would consider it a bargin. How much time would it take to tune a lock or what would it cost to have it done by someone else? I like the idea of the bridle being located by pins and not just the screws which can work loose.

Dave I agree with the last sentence in your post and I believe that once folks get used to the quality of CNC machined locks the demand will increase and hopefully lead to more offerings.

Zonie I too wondered about that. The photos don't offer a view that would confirm the presence of a fly or not. Going to Kibler's site and reading the details on his Colonial rifle kit I find the following; "Set up for a single trigger." and the photos of the components only show a single trigger. It's quite possible the lock doesn't have a fly as it isn't need for his kit.

Being an English lock, it's not surprising that it would not be designed for set triggers. ;)

Hi,
I don't think Kibler's lock has a fly although that probably would be easy for him to program in. He may be planning that and the photos he has now are those locks earmarked for his kits. I don't like or use set triggers when I can avoid them so it is not an issue for me but they do need a fly to work. I'll ask Jim about it. Of course price is always an issue with many folks, which is why many folks choose L&R and Davis. I always have to put in at least $150 dollars of my work time to make an L&R lock work right and up to my standards. It usually takes quite a bit less for a good Chambers (some of their models seem to be slipping recently with respect to QC). Kiblers will be a huge bargain for me and Laubach's will still be right in the ball park, particularly because they need no internal or external polishing. We need a 1760s-1770s flat-faced English lock without the bells and whistles of the roller frizzen and such. I don't believe many makers realize on this sde of the pond but the round-faced English locks were rarely used on high quality English guns after 1755-1760. After 1760 they usually were only used on military, livery, and cheap trade guns. Flat faced locks predominated and we don't have any to use. The Durs Egg, Bailes, and Twigg locks are all too late and I for one don't like any of them. Anyway, I gave Chris Laubach a really nice original English lock from that period and he may copy it. It would be a nice offering and have wide application to American guns.
Liston Rice is selling (through TVM) a new late flint English lock modeled after one by Henry Nock. Below are photos of it:
mXR6Wpj.jpg

bmbN2YA.jpg

It is much like Chambers late Ketland lock but with a "water proof" pan. I have one and it seems to be an excellent lock although I will make some changes. It is a phenomenal sparker. They are asking $225 for it and it is worth it, although it is much better made than L&R locks it is still not of the finished quality of either Kibler's or Laubach's locks.

dave

Reading the information in the link about the Round Face lock, it does not mention a fly.
I'm not sure why a fly would be left out of the design but for any builder who is considering using double set triggers on their build, I think a fly would be a necessity. (No hunter I know would want to have a single blade double set trigger on their rifle.)
Hi Zonie,
I asked Jim about the fly on another forum. It is as I suspected. The run in the picture is for their kits and has no fly. However, all locks made for independent sale will have fly detents.

dave

For a fine, period correct, rifle that extra $100.00 would be money well spent.
Hi Frank,
Not only that but because Chris Laubach is doing all the parts by CNC machining he will be able to simply mirror image the programming to produce the same lock in left hand. He says it would take about 15 minutes.

dave

I just took a look at the Laubach lock. I think I need to do a little more study, because it doesn't look too different from a French lock (St. Etienne) to me. What am I missing?

I just took a look at the Laubach lock. I think I need to do a little more study, because it doesn't look too different from a French lock (St. Etienne) to me. What am I missing?

More study is always good. ;)

Many continental European locks are styled very similarly.

And this is a French lock. I can't discern the significant differences barring the engraving
View attachment 14466
Hi Cruzatte,
You could probably make a good French lock like the one you showed from Laubach's lock. The flint cock is different but could be modified, Chris' has blind screw holes that could be drilled through and new longer screws made. The frizzen will have to be reshaped because it has sharp facets unlike the French lock. A bigger tumbler screw is needed and the frizzen spring filed a bit. However, I suspect it would make a fine French lock and be much better than the Tulle lock by TOW.

dave

Hi Dave
I see the differences now that you point them out. It sounds like a workable situation. Maybe somewhere down the road when my skills have improved a bit I could tackle that. Thanks for your kind reply.

We played with the Laubach lock at the CLA show. It is a surefire sparker.
Kibler is looking to maintain control of his supply line for his kits. I don't blame him for that. Castings are fine as long as you can get them, but the supply from the foundries just isn't keeping up with the demand.

Back