• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Two different factory stocks. What brand are they?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
About 10 years ago the only friend of mine that shot blackpowder had a stroke and has been in a nursing home since. He has had at least 3 more strokes since. Viet Nam vet and a great guy. Hate to see him this way for so long. Anyway he gave me all of his muzzleloading stuff and these two stocks were included.
He does not remember and I don't know what brand they are.
Brand 1.jpg
Brand 2.jpg

The Hawken looking one appears to be ash or oak to my uneducated eye and is pretty heavy. The inletting is deep with a lot of wood that could be removed to slim it up. A TC lock looks like it would fit but needs more inletting.

The other one I am guessing plain maple or possibly cherry..do not know. I had at one time an elaborate patch box on it. My intent is to sell them but it would be nice to know who made them if possible. Any ideas out there??

Dave

The one with the brass I believe is a CVA Hawken stock and judging by that ridge around the cheekpiece was from a kit gun. And it would be beech or birch.

The other stock looks to be fom an early Lyman Plains Rifle from when they had the large patchbox. And if so, would be European walnut.

Thanks bubba. I wondered whether the Hawken was a kit or not. There is about an 1/8th of an inch above the patchbox and the butt plate. The inlet is fine the wood just needs to be taken down. Interesting.

The one with the brass I believe is a CVA Hawken stock and judging by that ridge around the cheekpiece was from a kit gun. And it would be beech or birch.

The other stock looks to be fom an early Lyman Plains Rifle from when they had the large patchbox. And if so, would be European walnut.
bubba is absolutely correct! The stock with the brass trigger guard is indeed a CVA Hawken kit stock.

Like he already mentioned, the other is an early Lyman Plains Rifle stock.

Respectfully, Cowboy

It looks like a Lyman to me, also. Interesting, I don't recall back when they had the patchbox; But the shape, color, all look like the Lyman. Best regards.

It looks like a Lyman to me, also. Interesting, I don't recall back when they had the patchbox; But the shape, color, all look like the Lyman. Best regards.
Yes Lyman produced a muzzleloader back in the day called “ Plains Rifle “. Not to be confused with the Lyman Great Plains Rifle. The Lyman Plains Rifle did indeed have a rather large patch box. The stock in question is off a Lyman Plains Rifle.

Respectfully, Cowboy

Back