• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Twister

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PreserveFreedom

40 Cal.
Reaction score
So I built another Classic Arms kit. I must give a warning to anyone that may be building one of these though. On both the Snake Eyes kit, and the Twister kit, pulling the trigger from the half cock position will drop the hammer on the nipple. I am not sure if it drops with enough force to set the cap off, but this is something one should be aware of. These are nice conversation pieces, but I think it is safe to say they are also the Saturday night specials of the muzzleloading world.

What we have here is a Twister. It is a .36 caliber, smoothbore, muzzleloading pistol. Squeezing the trigger drops the hammer on the top barrel. Then you rotate the barrels and bring the bottom barrel to the top so that it can be fired. The yellow junk you see in the fourth picture is Bore Butter.

twister002.jpg

twister003.jpg

twister004.jpg

twister005.jpg

36kits011.jpg

Those kits can be OK functioning and decent looking pieces. They really need a lot of finishing beyond what comes out of the box, Additional machining, etc.. The horizontal picture of the twister barrel is really close to what the profile on the snake eyes should be, but it can be really hard to accomplish with hand tools. I wish the Hoppe's kits were still available, they had a snake-eyes derringer that was quite nice. I had one that I nickle plated and foolishly sold.

Interesting little firearm. You're really getting into these kits. Please give us a shooting report when you can. Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

Ah, I have one of these too. Yeah, no safety on them either. I drilled a hole through the frame just in front of the hammer and use a pin to block the hammer. If loaded with 22 grains of pyro P they are the bp equivalent of the .25 auto. Very loud.

Don

Looks like an older thread but I resurrected mine and need some advise. At full cock seems like a 10lb or better pull. Looking for the right place to do some filing to lighten it up. Pics would help. The above are great.

With a fine India stone & oil, lightly stone the face of the full cock notch and the outside of the hammer just above the edge to both square up the business end of the notch to a sharp edge and polish the surfaces.

sxkMuw4.jpg

Back