• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Twist ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mtman725

The Last Best place, MT
Reaction score
So back in the 80's when I was doing PB, the best twist rate for round ball's was 1-66, and the 1-48 was the one for conical bullets and how it's hard to find an 1-66 or 1-60 gun. What gives? and I take it that the 1-66 or 1-60 is still the way to go for traditional shooting with round balls.

My Getz barrel is a 1:66 and she drives tacks with a round ball. Any reputable barrel company should still be able to make you a barrel in your desired twist I would think.

The Hawkens (TC, InvestArms, CVA) of the 70s settled on 1:48 as a compromise for round ball and conical ( the buffalo bullet round was a popular in my neck of the woods for deer hunting before the awful sabots made their appearance in the 80s)

I was always told it depending on the caliber as Kansas Kid mentioned. My .40 is a 1/48 and my .58 is a 1/70 GM. Both are pretty darn good shooters

1/48 was used in most rifles in the 1700-1900 time frame. The original Hawkens were 1/48. As people started using heavier powder charges 1/66 became more popular. The T.C. Hawken 1/48 is considered a compromise twist because of their depth of the grooves. Roundball rifles prefer .010 or greater depth, mini ball rifles use .002 depth. The T.C. Hawken depth was around .005 therefore a compromise between the prb and mini's depth.

1/48 was used in most rifles in the 1700-1900 time frame. The original Hawkens were 1/48. As people started using heavier powder charges 1/66 became more popular. The T.C. Hawken 1/48 is considered a compromise twist because of their depth of the grooves. Roundball rifles prefer .010 or greater depth, mini ball rifles use .002 depth. The T.C. Hawken depth was around .005 therefore a compromise between the prb and mini's depth.
T/C barrels can work very well with the lighter shorter bullets. There are a line of bullets designed specifically for the t/c’s. They are the “I“ bullets in 40,45,50, and 54 calibers from accurate molds.

So back in the 80's when I was doing PB, the best twist rate for round ball's was 1-66, and the 1-48 was the one for conical bullets and how it's hard to find an 1-66 or 1-60 gun. What gives? and I take it that the 1-66 or 1-60 is still the way to go for traditional shooting with round balls.

Well there is the Pedersoli Frontier rifle, which is currently available as the Cabela's Blue Ridge Hunter .54 This has a 1:65 twist rate.
So too is the Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken, and the Mortimer. Not to mention the Kodiak Safari .72 with a 1:75 twist, plus the "3-Band" 1853 Endfield Rifle that has a whopping 1:78 twist
There are the Traditions Kentucky Rifles in caplock that are 1:66 Traditions Kentucky Caplock
There are the Lyman Great Plains Rifles and Great Plains Hunters which have variations with 1:60 twist Lyman.

So there are a lot of factory rifles out there still made with a slower than 1:48 twist rate. It used to be that just about all of the inexpensive factory rifles were 1:48 with the exception of some of the CVA models, and IF you wanted a slower twist then you had to go custom.

LD

There’s a lot of depends that goes with that and I ain’t talking underwear. 1-48 is favored in 45 cal and below for RB. 1-48 is favored for RB with lite powder charges. To me it more depends on style of rifling and the depth of it.

The trials and tribulations many experience trying to get large bore shallow groove barrels to shoot good would say that you're exactly right.
Just by example, making a .54 TC Renegade shoot good with heavy powder charges sometimes aint easy and can get you tugging on your beard but fed right with some inventive finagling, it'll hunt.
:thumb:

There’s a lot of depends that goes with that and I ain’t talking underwear. 1-48 is favored in 45 cal and below for RB. 1-48 is favored for RB with lite powder charges. To me it more depends on style of rifling and the depth of it.
You can make just about any twist rifling work but you will have to back off of F.P.S. the tighter the twist . I had to edit what I said! A heavy, long bullet can be used in tight twist barrels. I shoot exclusively Balls and sometimes make the mistake of not thinking about conicals?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back