• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

twine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old ugly

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have mostly used 1/4'' sisal rope for tying my shelter together but it is overkill and bulky, I tried sisal garden twine but it was too weak.
I stood and stared at twine at home depot to try to figure what would appear correct and what would be strong enough to hold my tarp shelter together, finally gave up and thought I better ask you folks, what do you use?

Hemp twine sold in the craft section at wall mart. Some ml supply houses sell hemp rope in 1/4inch size.
I do take three stands of wal mart twine hook them over a door knobs and braid them.

Baler twine, take it and 2 ply reverse wrap it. Makes a nice small diameter strong rope. takes a while to twist though.
You can do the same with store bought craft twine.

Baler twine makes really good rope if you have a rope maker. A guy in our club had a rope maker and would make rope for everyone.

Last edited:
I have mostly used 1/4'' sisal rope for tying my shelter together but it is overkill and bulky, I tried sisal garden twine but it was too weak.
I stood and stared at twine at home depot to try to figure what would appear correct and what would be strong enough to hold my tarp shelter together, finally gave up and thought I better ask you folks, what do you use?

I use 1/4" hemp rope on our marque poles/stakes. Stronger & soft on the hand as opposed to sisal or manila. Turkeyfoot Traders sells a variety of hemp rope, canvas, straps and in your case, hemp trine in various sizes, several at over 100# test.

i never even thought of walymart or a craft store. cool.
when you mention twisting a few strands together, do you think tying a few strands together and anchoring one end, then use the drill to twist it, maybe it would be quick way to twist them?

i never even thought of walymart or a craft store. cool.
when you mention twisting a few strands together, do you think tying a few strands together and anchoring one end, then use the drill to twist it, maybe it would be quick way to twist them?
Drill powered rope making machine,

Twisting by hand,

There's a faster way to do it manually by rolling the strands against your thigh, but I can't seem to find a video.

I was just about to head over to Walmart, I was staring at the pile of sisal rope and thought maybe I can unravel some to make twine, reverse the process. it doesn't like being unwound but it did and it is still pretty strong. we will see if it holds up to a tarp in a wind .

ou
tom

I've made cordage with dogbane, milkweed, basswood bark, hickory bark and sinew, The problem with two ply is the splices. Depending on the fiber used, the fibers may be rather short making it necessary for splices to be close together. Each splice is therefore supported by only a single adjacent strand. If strength is required, three ply cordage allows for a staggering of the splices such that each splice is supported by two strong adjacent strands.

This is a three strand dogbane cord for a fire bow
upload_2019-4-14_20-52-44.png

For your primitive camps and lean-to's I suggest tying with strips of hickory bark. It worked well for tying the timbers of Haudenosaunee long houses.

I always found hemp twine and thus rope made from it rather $$$. Authentic but not cheap.

Jute twine is another natural fiber, and if you look at "tow" that's being offered these days it's often hemp tow or Jute tow, but not linen any longer. Get a spool and you can use it to make a wad of tow, or you can fasten your powder charger to your gear, or your horn plug to the horn.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Lehigh-1-16-in-x-190-ft-Natural-Twisted-Jute-Rope/3587908

You can take a spool and by trippling the strands and using a rope spinner make cordage that is thicker. This is how I make military canteen cords.

Rope Spinning Tool.jpg

You can find detailed directions in the Orienteering merit badge book from Scouting.

LD

Back