• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Twangy Frizzen

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuncNZ

54 Cal.
Reaction score
The frizzen spring on my 1770 Lancaster's L&R Classic lock makes a noise that I can only describe as a vibrating twang . It works perfectly , no problems there but I would like to get rid of the noise .
Does any one have any idea of the cause and the remedy for this noise
It is this one
1648884568367.png
ps :It is unbelievably hard for me to import a new spring , or any gun part from the USA , lots of police import papers etc .

How ‘bout a thin piece of leather between the spring and toe of the frizzen?

I get that 'twang' from that particular lock too. I only hear it when dry firing, like testing a new flint, but I do find it annoying, but don't dry fire enough that I feel the need to deal with it. The thin piece of leather oiled up might just work though.
Robby

I don't believe I would put anything between the spring and frizzen toe. I think I would oil a piece of leather and roll it up tight. Remove the spring and while it's open force the leather roll into the bend and then trim it off. My thought is that the leather will dampen the vibrations of the spring that produce the noise and would have no effect on the spring and frizzen. The leather should compress enough so that it doesn't change the spring's tension as it works.

I get that 'twang' from that particular lock too. I only hear it when dry firing, like testing a new flint, but I do find it annoying, but don't dry fire enough that I feel the need to deal with it. The thin piece of leather oiled up might just work though.
Robby
I never really noticed the twang for 15 years because I only fired it never dry fired it , then I fitted a wooden flint and noticed it immediately , I thought I had broken something . So thanks for your advise I will treat it as normal and try to forget it .

all slowed down videos of the firing taking place with sound, you will hear that distinct sound of the frizzen twang noise when it is being struck my the hammer. it may bother you, but it is just a natural occurrence.

The frizzen spring on my 1770 Lancaster's L&R Classic lock makes a noise that I can only describe as a vibrating twang . It works perfectly , no problems there but I would like to get rid of the noise .
Does any one have any idea of the cause and the remedy for this noise
It is this one View attachment 131620ps :It is unbelievably hard for me to import a new spring , or any gun part from the USA , lots of police import papers etc .
I'm curious as well to the source of the noise. I wonder if it is the toe bouncing back off the frizzen spring as the action is cycled ?

Do you have a grease between the frizzen toe and spring? Also , the frizzen bearing screw should be greased Lock parts bearing surfaces , should be greased for optimum operation. Any squeaking noises are low lubrication noises. In addition, to get a flint held in place as tight as it can be , put a little lube on the top jaw screw . Makes a big difference on how well a flint is held.

Oldwood , once again you have proved to be a rare gem . I got my rifle out of the safe removed the lock and greased up the screw etc and the Twang is now no different than my other flintlocks . I have never used grease in locks because it holds carbon etc , but I will now grease all my locks . Thank you Sir.

Do you have a grease between the frizzen toe and spring? Also , the frizzen bearing screw should be greased Lock parts bearing surfaces , should be greased for optimum operation. Any squeaking noises are low lubrication noises. In addition, to get a flint held in place as tight as it can be , put a little lube on the top jaw screw . Makes a big difference on how well a flint is held.
I wonder about grease on interior lock parts and Frizzen bearing in cold weather. I would think something like Gunzilla or Break free would be the lube to use as they still work at 40 below without stiffening up.

M.DeLand........I have a supply of military Arctic oil , but plain white grease , I have in quantity , as well. White is low viscosity , I have hunted in extreme Pa. weather in Late Flintlock season in -30 F , killed deer , and never had a failure to fire. I think any metal on metal bearing points do well if polished , and greased. Warm weather shooting for me is usually , two trips a month for practice , and lock greasing each time the lock is removed for cleaning , when the gun barrel gets cleaned ............oldwood

I wonder about grease on interior lock parts and Frizzen bearing in cold weather. I would think something like Gunzilla or Break free would be the lube to use as they still work at 40 below without stiffening up.
The rule I've always used is: if it slides grease it, if it rotates or pivots oil it.

Worst case , that mostly comes to my mechanic shop , are locks w/o any form of lube. They squeak , they drag , I just shake my head in amazement. Typical question , when I clean the barrel , must I clean the lock?? Then I ask , do you lube the lock parts? Uhhhhhh , unsure .... Next question.......does your wife/girlfriend , have a tooth brush you can borrow , while you hold the frizzen and pan area ,and underside of flint hammer , under the hot water spigot to brush the ash off . Ok , now , since water , oil , and grease don't play well together , dry the lock mechanism w/ heat gun , hair dryer , some other warm dry place where it will AIR dry , no open flame , then , like hinamanera and De land say , if it rotates / pivots , oil it , if it slides , grease it. ............... Further advice.....wash out his,her , tooth brush before you put it back in the rack. Powder ash tastes awful. .....................oldwood

I use this lock quite often in left hand rifles, so I got one out, and though I always oil the lock when I clean up after shooting, I re-oiled it, the frizzed has a roller on the frizzen, what the heck I greased it anyway, it still twangs, I laid in a thin piece of leather, it still twangs. I was curious is all, for the few times I dry fire, it doesn't really bother me enough to take it any further.
Robby

Robby........It may have a dry frizzen bearing screw. If you tilt the frizzen in the front fired direction , from the pan side in the front of the pan flat you can put a drop or two of oil in each side of the frizzen bearing . From there the lube should flow down into the frizzen axil bearing. Put a drop on the frizzen spring wheel too. ...................Give it a shot, see if the squeak goes away.oldwood

Latest posts

Back