• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

TVM Wood Grades

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbadben

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone have any information or pictures about the different grades of wood offered by TVM (Matt Avance)?

I'm looking to build a Tennessee rifle with steel furniture. I'd like it to have nice wood with some good curl, but don't need it to be super great.

Trying to get a sense of what standard, Premium +, Premium ++, etc. look like.

Thanks,

Ben

BigBadBen said:
Does anyone have any information or pictures about the different grades of wood offered by TVM (Matt Avance)?

Matt found this stock for me, called it a "Super Premium ++"
First set of photos has what he calls a "honey" colored stain
Second set of photos has what he calls a "dark reddish" stain...(same stock)...actually turned out looking like dark mahogany color.

1RightSideFull.jpg

2TriggerGuard.jpg

1FullRightSidecropped.jpg

2FullLeftSidecropped.jpg

My EV from Matt has the super premium maple and looks very much like Roundball's with about 90% tiger striping & reddish color. I have a Lancaster with premium + and it is beautiful with a fair amount of striping but with clouds & swirls that I find more attractive than stripes. Even my plain maple seems to have some amount of figure though not stripes. Matt also built me a pistol that has 100% well defined stripes as striking as any I've ever seen.

Thanks guys,

Roundball, that's a beautiful looking gun. I had Matt make me a late Lancaster in percussion about a year ago that looks similar to that. Now I'm feeling the need for a flinter . . . you know how that goes.

So I broke down and ordered the kit today, a Tennessee with a premium++ stock. 54-cal flinter with a 42" barrel and steel furniture. Can't wait to get going on it.

Ben

I built one of his tennesse rifles earier this year. You made sure you got a late ketland lock or some other kind of late english lock inletted, right? The siler is not authentic to a tennessee rifle and from what I understand the ketland is faster with bearings and such on the frizzen. I'm left handed and had to use a L&R manton lock because chambers doesn't make the ketland in lh, it has the roller bearings on it and it is easily the fastest lock I own, there is no perceptible lock time to me and the rifle is a joy to own after I spent hours filing polishing and tuning the lock (if I could have gotten a chambers ketland it would have cut my time in half and made the rifle more valuable to boot).I really liked the kit the only thing I dislike is the way they routed out the barrel channel in the back and I had ramrod angle issues which I fixed by judisious sanding.

Yeah, I went with the Durr's Egg. I was going to go with the Siler, but looking at them on line I thought the Durr's Egg and the Manton had more character. Matt mentioned the Durr's Egg because it's a tad bigger and I've got a big barrel with a 54-cal.

But to my eye I think the Durr's Egg and Manton look identical.

Ben

They, do look pretty similar, once properly tuned my manton ended up being really fast, but the lock is really of mediocre quality the fit and finish of the internal parts was down right poor, I also dont think the heat treating of the sear was done properly, because the sear broke within 20 shots. It took alot of work to get the lock into reasonable shape. But now that the work is done I'm happy with it.

Back