• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

TVM Woes! :(

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen and handled several of Matt's guns and all have been of excellent quality. I own a fowler from him which I acquired second hand and the fit and finish are excellent for what the gun is. I would have liked a lower RR channel but what the heck..... For the price and finish it shoots like a "Haint".

As asked, is it signed by him on the top flat ?

I must agree the nose cap work is not good. The longer RR is nothing to me as I make mine a bit longer any way. The front sight does have a problem. Wrong barrel, well thats another story.

From what you have shown and said I would follow up your email with a phone call.

EDIT: After some thought, I think it would have been better to have either not posted your remarks until after you made contact with Mike or left the name out of the post. I would think TVM should have been afforded the opportunity to respond to you before you put this on a public forum.

JMHO.....
Respectfully disagree.
OP did not condemn the mfr.
Stated that he has contacted them, will give them a chance to make it right, and update the thread.
I for one am glad to be made aware that this happened. And therefore that it could happen again.
I look forward to a happy ending for the OP.
SFH

Probably good it gets brought to the forefront every so often. People still want to know what value they are going to get for their hard earned money. Appears with TVM you put you're money down and take you're chances. Personally I owe no loyalty to TVM or any other manufacture of goods for sale. They promise to provide a service for the money I pay them. If they do manure work then guess what they get a manure review. If they don't want this level of criticism maybe they should strive harder to make the product they are promising correctly the first go around.

I would think close quality control checks before items are shipped would limit or prevent unhappy customers. Those that are not first quality should be sold as seconds with defects noted and priced accordingly. Reputations are difficult/impossible to rebuild in this day of instant and permanently available information. Big producers can absorb negative feedback, small guys and customs cannot.

Gang I got in my first “custom” long rifle today, a TVM Tennessee rifle. Came home from work at lunch super excited as I got an email from UPS showing delivery. I get home and gingerly open the package, my heart pounding!! Well, this is the first thing I see emerge from the bubble wrap and newspaper clippings:

47-E2-CE63-4322-4464-B615-4-B2-CE12-AB951.jpg

47-E2-CE63-4322-4464-B615-4-B2-CE12-AB951.jpg

Alright... not a huge deal... nothing a little cold blue won’t fix right up. No biggie! But then I see THIS:

E77-E9-FC9-B056-4406-A76-F-CB021-EB0-D1-C7.jpg

E77-E9-FC9-B056-4406-A76-F-CB021-EB0-D1-C7.jpg

Minus the natural spots of rust around the crown (non issue) it all looks good and normal right? Well it would be... but I ordered ROUND bottom rifling!! Yes sir, I got the invoice right here and during the order process confirmed with TVM they’d be using a Rice A-weight round bottom rifling barrel. Even say so on the invoice plain as day.

Aside from that, the inletting for the sideplate and lock are lackluster, even borderline amateurish. There are clearly evident chips and gouges around the lock especially. It’s livable and I wouldn’t complain much about it but man... what a massive disappointment about the barrel.

Guys I’m just venting. 8 months of waiting and just under $1800 all said and done... yikes. I’ve emailed TVM letting them know about the issues and sure hope they make this right. Guys I’ll keep you all updated. Thanks and take care,

-Dillon
I would sure be raising a big stink. That’s plenty of money and time to have waited. They need to provide you with what you ordered. IMO.

I own 3 TVM firearms. I’ve enjoyed doing business with the family.

My only complaint is a .45 calibre Poor Boy that I’ve owned for over 10 years. I’ve sent the gun back twice...no matter what I do...I cannot get that gun to group under 4” at 25 yards. Seriously, what is wrong with this gun? It should be a single hole at 25 yards...shots touching at 50 yards and 2”-3” at 100 yards. At least that’s what I expect and get from my other guns.

I have a Natchez Poor Boy on order...I’m hopeful that this one will be a shooter.

After that gun comes in...My next 2 purchases will be Kibler’s kit guns. SMR in .40 calibre and a cColonial in .54

Damn, glad I saw this as I was just getting ready to place an order for either the Tennessee Basic or the Southern Basic Rifle. I have been lusting for a rock lock for a while now and was ready for make a purchase .....

Seems I may have dodged the bullet .... er, ball.

These reports are disturbing. This is the kind of info that affects the value of TVM products and hurts owners as well as manufacturer. Given human nature, most if not all, buyers will only look at the negative despite numerous positives. Only takes a few seconds on a smartphone when evaluating potential buys and trade ins even at shows now. I see it everywhere and I too am guilty. Heck Even insurance companies do this when claims are filed and make judgements accordingly. This is very unfair and out of control. What's worse is these complaints/comments they NEVER go away. I would encourage TVM reps to join this conversation (even belatedly) and defend their products.

Not sure that the internet is their enemy as much as is the lack of re-sale value, it is no different than buying a factory muzzle loader, a new car/truck or manufactured home, once you drive it off the lot the re-sale value drops like a rock, you will never get your full cost back out of the investment. You don't have that problem with a well cared for stick built home, classic car, or most of the custom built muzzle loaders, they will generally go up in value year after year.

From just what I'm reading right here on net i would be very hesitant to drop big bucks on one of these. Making even Italian stuff look good.

So you would rather there not be any negative press, for all of the complaints there are enough cheerleaders to keep the lights on and doors open.

My dealings with TVM have been first class. No problems. They treated me like I was their best customer. Sad to hear someone is having problems with them.

Send it back, along with a list of what you don't like about it. If you don't get rid of it now you'll spend the rest of your life wishing you had. Personally as to the rifling, I'd be more upset about all the sharp edges and tool marks than about the square bottom style.

I have never sold a TVM for less than I paid for it. All of mine have appreciated in value, if only from time and/or the waiting time for a new one. Their wait time for a new build is certainly an indication that the demand for their products, if customers are happy to wait 9-13 months to receive one that is specifically built to their specifications, as all of mine were.

ADK Bigfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back